VOGONS

First post, by Peter Swinkels

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi,

I'm probably overlooking something, but after searching this website and with Google I can't figure out where to download DOSBox' source code. 😊 Where can I find the most recent code? It shouldn't be that hard to find. Thanks.

Peter

Do not read if you don't like attention seeking self-advertisements!

Did you read it anyway? Well, you can find all sorts of stuff I made using various programming languages over here:
https://github.com/peterswinkels

Reply 2 of 8, by Peter Swinkels

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi, QBix thanks for the quick reply. I just downloaded dosbox-0.74.tar.gz from the link you provided. I just tried to load and run it, but:

1. Visual Studio wants to upgrade the project.
2. Apparently the header files (*.h) can't be found and this results in 606 (!) errors.
3. When searching my C: drive using Agent Ransack a lot *.h files are found...
4. Had to install the Windows SDK 8.1.

I am using Microsoft Windows 7 Home Edition 64 bit and Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2017. The latter has support for C++ projects installed so that shouldn't be the problem. I assume I need to manually change a path reference in the project?

Did you read it anyway? Well, you can find all sorts of stuff I made using various programming languages over here:

Reply 3 of 8, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

aren't there various guides (like a sticky one on in the dosbox general forum, by DOSFreak), which explain in detail how to set things up ?

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 4 of 8, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Haven't tested with the free versions of VS yet but more than likely they don't come with the Windows SDK so you'll need to download that and point VS to the SDK source files.

You do have to jump through a bit more hoops when compiling DOSBox with VS vs Mingw but mainly it's due to using an IDE vs CLI and those differences more than anything.

Check my guide here:
Post 636941

Eventually I'll update the wiki but I've still got work to do on the guide before I'm happy with it.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 5 of 8, by emendelson

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Peter Swinkels wrote:
Hi, QBix thanks for the quick reply. I just downloaded dosbox-0.74.tar.gz from the link you provided. I just tried to load and r […]
Show full quote

Hi, QBix thanks for the quick reply. I just downloaded dosbox-0.74.tar.gz from the link you provided. I just tried to load and run it, but:

1. Visual Studio wants to upgrade the project.
2. Apparently the header files (*.h) can't be found and this results in 606 (!) errors.
3. When searching my C: drive using Agent Ransack a lot *.h files are found...
4. Had to install the Windows SDK 8.1.

I am using Microsoft Windows 7 Home Edition 64 bit and Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2017. The latter has support for C++ projects installed so that shouldn't be the problem. I assume I need to manually change a path reference in the project?

Alternatively, you could make your life easier by going here and downloading the complete VS2015/2017 build environment that I put together for exactly this purpose:

A complete Visual Studio 2015/2017 build environment (dosbox & dosbox-lfn)

You'll probably want to update the DOSBox code with the latest SVN changes (the code in my download is only two months old, however), but basically all you need to do is this: open the downloaded folder, double-click the StartVisualStudioProject.cmd file, and, when the project opens in VS2015 or VS2017 (whichever you have installed), choose Build. The exe will be in the Release folder. (Or you can test the build I put into the DOSBox Binaries folder.)

If you prefer to do it by hand, skip the .CMD file and navigate to dosbox\visualc_net, and launch the SLN file.

Tested with VS2015 in Win7-32 and VS2017 in Win10-64. PS: As it says in the other thread, in the download, I've disabled modem, network, and screenshots in config.h, but you can easily re-enable them by editing that file.

Reply 6 of 8, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The most recent code is NOT 0.74. You really want the SVN package which is the one that is updated. 0.74 hasn't been touched in years.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 7 of 8, by Peter Swinkels

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

emendelson, thanks for the link. Your build environment apparently needs Visual Studio 2015. I don't have that version installed and nor do I want to install it if I can avoid it. Do you know how to update your environment for Visual Studio 2017?

Reply 8 of 8, by emendelson

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Peter Swinkels wrote:

emendelson, thanks for the link. Your build environment apparently needs Visual Studio 2015. I don't have that version installed and nor do I want to install it if I can avoid it. Do you know how to update your environment for Visual Studio 2017?

As I said in my previous message, I tested this environment with VS2017. When you install VS2017, you should use the option to install the VS2015 SDK or whatever it's called. But I'm not sure you need it. Just let VS2017 update the files if necessary.

EDIT: Also, the other thread very clearly says that it works in VS 2015 or VS 2017. I don't really see how I could have made that more clear, but I've put "or VS 2017" in bold in the hope that it makes the point.