VOGONS

First post, by haemogoblin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey everyone

I stuck my Pi3 inside an A600 case a couple of years ago and I've been using it ever since as a light daily driver. I had SCUMMVM, DOSbox, UAE4ARM all set up and working pretty darn good. Then just after Christmas, I heard about Amiberry and some of the nifty features it boasted over UAE4ARM. Only problem was that I was running a 2 year old version of Raspbian, which didn't really have everything in place to support Amiberry. So I made a backup my SD card and stuffed a fresh copy of Stretch on my Pi. Almost straight away I've noticed issues, software that used to work, but didn't anymore.

The version of DOSbox available via the repos has always seemed to be dog slow, I mean it was a couple of years ago and surprise, surprise nothing has changed. I cant for the life of me remember where I downloaded it from, but I had a copy of dosbox that supported fullscreen in console and was fast enough to run Star Trek Final Unity. I've tried downloading and building an SVN version of DOSbox but without success, it tries to load but errors. At first it error'd because it couldn't detect SDL2, so i built and installed that. Finally thought I was getting somewhere, DOSbox compiled without error. But just wont boot up.

So to sum up, I'd like to have a decent version of DOSbox again, so i can play doom and ST-finalunity.

Reply 1 of 5, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

the svn version of dosbox should be fasters on Pi3, as I recently enabled the dynrec core for that by default.
SDL2 version and such, I don't know anything about, as DOSBox is SDL1.2

For why a svn dosbox doesn't start.. I don't know either, maybe start it from a console and look for an error message ?

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 2 of 5, by haemogoblin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I got it working! Found a post from 2015, explaining how to compile Dosbox with dynamic compiling enable. Now my only issue is I getting it to do full screen. Well it DOES go full screen, but I have a picture and 2-3inches of black border. Any idea what I tell the config file, so that it will get the picture to fit the screen? 😜

Reply 3 of 5, by divinity

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Try dosbox.conf with "fullresolution=640x480" & "windowresolution=640x480". Where "640x480" is your Screen resolution.
And also try "output=surface" and "output=overlay" + "aspect=false" and true.
And you can mess around with "config.txt" on the Raspberry Pi with resolutions which makes e.g. 640x480 standard fullscreen resolution.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/con … ig-txt/video.md

Reply 5 of 5, by haemogoblin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I've managed to get my Rpi3 to output a fullscreen, using output=overlay

Before when i was using wheezy, i used screen.

First thing I noticed off the bad, was how terrible dos looked, compared to how it appeared previously. I loaded up Star Trek Final Unity and as soon as I'm in the game and past the FMV, it runs terribly. video performance is sluggish.

I know this games works, as i played it on my RPi last year and completed it.