VOGONS

First post, by Serious Callers Only

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've normally cut down mouse sensitivity on dosbox to about 30-35% of the 'default' for it to feel precise. I've been wondering if this is because of the hardware being different, bigger screens making default speeds faster, me using a touchpad instead of a mouse, etc.

Not entirely... turns out that ubuntu gnome has been using adaptive mouse speed at the OS side for quite a while - i noticed when a upgrade to ubuntu 17.10 turned it off and i almost revolted before i found the setting hidden after installing gnome-tweak-tool.

I'm thinking, why not optionally use this as a option for a mouse setting if dosbox is built with the library? I believe it would make point and click adventures much more bearable. The library is explained here:
https://wayland.freedesktop.org/libinput/doc/ … celeration.html

With this api apparently straight lines accelerate fast, curves decelerate quick (to simplify what's written there because i don't fully understand it). It also tries to abstract over touchpad differences in handling over mouse. Maybe there is a way to transparently force SDL2 to do this though, but from my understanding the dosbox mouse abstraction doesn't use the native pointer at all, thus my problems right?