VOGONS

First post, by prompt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The problem: I have a game (the pandora directive) that fails to read the cd labels. The six (original) cds are labeled PANDORA{1-6} and when the game wants cd 1, it looks for a label DISK1 which is wrong and therefore fails. But if I remove the name check and simply return the label, it succeeds. I didn't test cd swaping, but the game still recognizes a wrong disc. Btw: the game works (with the same cds) in a dosemu/msdos6 setup.

drive_local.cpp:

//if (WildFileCmp(dirCache.GetLabel(),tempDir)) {
// Get Volume Label
dta.SetResult(dirCache.GetLabel(),0,0,0,DOS_ATTR_VOLUME);
return true;
//}

Would there be problems if that check is removed ?

Reply 1 of 7, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

easy to test i think.

Just write a small com file which searches for the volumelabel and check how much the filename in ds:dx matters.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 2 of 7, by prompt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The search pattern doesn't seem to matter for volume names. If you want to check yourself, execute attached file in real dos. Its pattern is XXXXXXXX.XXX and it prints out the volume name if executed in the root of a drive.

Attachments

• Filename
    dirlabel.zip
    File size
    639 Bytes
    Downloads
    168 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 4 of 7, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

would be nice if those game worked then 😀
I'll include the fix. Not sure when. First some testing on that iso support

Reply 6 of 7, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

well i committed the change. Not sure if it will pop up in Ieremiou nexts build. as he's patching the sources allready.

Reply 7 of 7, by Jiri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thank you, Prompt and Qbix, Pandora now works in DOSBox. 😀 I tried the game after compiling CVS with the change. CD switching seems to be working fine, I checked CD 1, 2 and 3. Pandora freezes in movement mode with dynamic core, but works with normal core. Speed is not high, but I think the game is fairly playable with 2.5 GHz processor, increased cycles and rendering quality in the preferences set on "med" or "low".

Attachments

• tex4.jpg
    Filename
    tex4.jpg
    File size
    16.98 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception