VOGONS

First post, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here's a request: I am a foreign (Spanish) user of DOSBox and I have lots of problems running MicroProse simulators under DOSBox, like F-15 Strike Eagle III or GunShip 2000, and they are currently unplayable because some vital keys won't work.

The funny thing is that emulation is fine, but these old MicroProse sims required foreign users like me to load the DOS US Keyboard controller before playing. This was achieved typing "KEYB US" before playing.

For most of my old MicroProse sims, I created batch files like the following:

@ECHO OFF
KEYB US
F15III.COM
KEYB SP

in order to run them properly. However, this batch files won't work under DOSBox because its COMMAND.COM doesn't support (yet) the KEYB command. Could you add it in the near future? I don't think it would be much trouble, and it would fix the MicroProse sims for all non-us users.

I have tried switching the Windows keyboard controllers, but it won't work. I still have my old DOS 6.22 disks, so meanwhile I think I can solve the problem by copying the KEYBRD.SYS and KEYB.COM DOS files into the game folder. Still, it would be great if the KEYB command was included in the next releases of DOSBox.

Reply 1 of 6, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

it won't be.
Just use xkeyb.com(freedos) or keyb.com(dos5.0)

Maybe in the far future it will work. but not soon.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 2 of 6, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, thanks for the quick answer. Is there anywhere I can get Freedos or DOS 5.0? If that is not possible, could you attach the required files here? I mean, if that's OK with the copyright and stuff.

Reply 5 of 6, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OK, I've tried with FreeDOS' KEYB.COM (+ the US keyboard scheme, of course), but it doesn't seem to work. I get a message saying the keymap is correctly installed but then in-game keys that used to work in my old PC with the "Keyb US" command don't work.

I've still got the DOS 6.22 disks, but I'm told this version's commands won't work under DOSBox. But I've heard of a DOS program called SETVER.EXE. Can it cheat DOSBox to make it believe the KEYB.COM file is from DOS 5.0? If it can, what is the exact syntax for this command?

Reply 6 of 6, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

it the other way around. you have to tell keyb.com that dosbox is actually dos 6.2 😀

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!