VOGONS

First post, by WhiteDragon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The Windows installer version 6.1 requires acceptance of the GPL. Does that conflict with clause 5 of the license?

Attachments

• dosbox_license.png
    Filename
    dosbox_license.png
    File size
    19.89 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    how do I use the program without accepting the license?
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 6, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I deleted the poll (they do not work on this board - I think that all answers go to the first option).
As for the rest of your mail: I would like to have only these problems ... 😀

Mirek

Reply 2 of 6, by WhiteDragon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

it is still a concern though, as presenting the GPL as a license that must be accepted to use the software is clearly in violation of the GPL. That is bad.

I think so Brain, but if they called them sad meals, kids wouldn't buy them. Narf.

Reply 3 of 6, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The installer system doesn't have an alternative way.
A license should be shown else the software is assumed to be license less or so. (or so i heard)

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 4 of 6, by WhiteDragon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

that is correct, however, it should be an informative screen only, instead of requiring acceptance. For instance, the attached mockup. Also, note that the GPL actually gives some advice on how to advertise the fact that the program is licensed. They suggest a display such as:

<one line to give the program's name and a brief idea of what it does.> Copyright (C) <year> <name of author> This program i […]
Show full quote

<one line to give the program's name and a brief idea of what it does.>
Copyright (C) <year> <name of author>

This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or
(at your option) any later version.

This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the
GNU General Public License for more details.

You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software
Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place, Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111-1307 USA

to be shown when the program starts up. IANAL, but I assume that the process of installing the software could possibly qualify as copying, but I don't think it qualifies as distribution. In fact, it seems to me that it is not even copying by a reasonable definition: since I downloaded the code from someone who is distributing it, and they must have accepted the license in order to have distribution rights. Therefore I think the act of downloading it would be covered under your (the distributor's) acceptance of the license. And of course for use a license is not required. The license is mainly to inform anyone who wishes to redistribute the copy downloaded from you, or to make a modified copy and distribute that.

Attachments

• dosbox_license_mockup.PNG
    Filename
    dosbox_license_mockup.PNG
    File size
    21.24 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Here is a mockup showing a sample license with no requirement of acceptance. (IANAL, etc.)... Also, can you tell it was created with MSPAINT.EXE :-)
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

I think so Brain, but if they called them sad meals, kids wouldn't buy them. Narf.

Reply 5 of 6, by priestlyboy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've changed my NSIS script a little to include a change to the default "I Agree" button text to what you recommend "Next ->".
I've tested it and it looks ok.
In the .NSI file you need to add what is in bold:

LicenseText "DOSBox v${VER_MAYOR}.${VER_MINOR} License - ${VER_CVS} - Not Officially Supported" "Next ->"

(Screenshot below) I haven't released this build yet but I will tomorrow morning EST time.

LAC.png

Gosh I love Photobucket.com 😁.

Ieremiou
----------
Helping Debug DOSBox.