VOGONS

First post, by Adamtheawesome

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Many of Apogee's older games used to have a colored border around the screen that is missing in dosbox. In Keen 4, for instance, there was a teal border. In Crystal Caves, the border was red until you collect all the gems, and then it turned green. However, since the border is missing, you have no way of knowing if you have completed the level or not. I'm using dosbox .61. Any chance of fixing this?

Reply 1 of 7, by priestlyboy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm curious. I know apogee has a lot of actual bugs in some of its programs that DOSBox doesn't want to deal with.
Namely the one I'm talking about is with BioMenace and its bad use of 0, I believe. I wonder if there is a possibility of scrapping that patch you made a long while ago and making an exception for this silly thing.
I mean you've already played around with the exception for getting the mouse to work in LSL6 and still get the mouse to work in every other game.
I dunno how many people will actually look for a patch just to play the game. I dunno how many people really know of the patch.

Ieremiou
----------
Helping Debug DOSBox.

Reply 3 of 7, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I seem to recall that Epic Pinball had a similar feature that could be enabled; specifically, you pressed Esc during gameplay and pressed F9. Apparently the ability to display this border is monitor-dependent.

Reply 5 of 7, by Harekiet

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

It's not really monitor dependant or whatever, just a color the videocard gives the electon beam when it's not outputting the actual normal display data. And as for adding it in dosbox i don't think this will ever happen since you'd have to simulate it by drawing a larger screen which just sucks 😀

Reply 7 of 7, by Harekiet

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Not much to be done about that if the game runs in a 256 color fullscreen. Then it can happend that color 0's palette entry is changed and so the background changes along 😀