VOGONS

First post, by Teralitha

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It didnt used to happen. I dont know why it started. If i am playing a game and I need to enter the #1 for anything, it makes the game minimize and brings up the doxbox status window, when I go back to the main game window, the number 1 spams across any place it can as if the key were held down. This only happens with the number 1 key, and only with dosbox running. I had version 7.0. I tried updating to 7.2 but that didnt fix it.

Any idea why this happens or how to stop it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sk-TArCvs2o&feature=youtu.be

I should also note that I have uninstalled and reinstalled dosbox and it still happens.

Last edited by Teralitha on 2018-09-22, 19:33. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 1 of 9, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Maybe your windows key is stuck on your keyboard ? (or one of the other special keys ?)

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 3 of 9, by Teralitha

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It really doesnt make any sense why the dosbox status window would become the top window no matter what im doing. It doesnt seem like that would the result of a sticky keyboard key. Even when teh the dosbox is minimized and I hit the number 1 key in another program, it causes the dosbox status window to jump to the front. It couldnt possibly be the keyboard.

Reply 4 of 9, by NY00123

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A few things to check:

- As previously stated, re-check this with the new keyboard you're getting, even if it doesn't seem to be related at all. (The older keyboard doesn't have programmable keys by chance, does it?)
- On Windows, it's possible to set keyboard shortcuts for specific programs. Maybe this was done by mistake for a shortcut to DOSBox? https://superuser.com/questions/27463/keyboar … or-in-windows-7
- Got any input device in use other than a keyboard or mouse (e.g., a gamepad)? If yes, try disconnecting these first.

Reply 5 of 9, by Teralitha

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If it was a shortcut then doxbox would be starting from pressing the #1 key, but it does not. This only happens when dosbox is already running. Here is a video I made of what im talking about. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sk-TArCvs2o&feature=youtu.be

That link you posted I read but I didnt see anything related to this.

I have a very generic standard keyboard, nothing fancy. I hadnt used dosbox in awhile and it didnt happen back then. I looked into the shortcut properties but I dont see anything that would do this.

should also note that I have uninstalled and reinstalled dosbox and it still happens. AND I just got a brand new keyboard(after the fact)and it still happens so its not the keyboard.

Reply 7 of 9, by NY00123

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Checking the video a bit, I'm not sure the issue is with the DOSBox window itself; It might simply be the status window.
What happens when you open a Command Prompt window which is totally unrelated to DOSBox? Does the '1' key still change focus to it?

Reply 8 of 9, by Teralitha

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
NY00123 wrote:

Checking the video a bit, I'm not sure the issue is with the DOSBox window itself; It might simply be the status window.
What happens when you open a Command Prompt window which is totally unrelated to DOSBox? Does the '1' key still change focus to it?

Yes. It happens no matter what.

Reply 9 of 9, by Teralitha

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
zirkoni wrote:

Not a fix but a possible workaround:
add the "-noconsole" parameter to the DOSBox shortcut. With this parameter DOSBox doesn't create the status window.

Im not sure exactly where to put this command?

Nevermind I figured it out, that works thank you. No status window, no more problem.