VOGONS

About HQ2X...

Topic actions

First post, by Kalistan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is the HQ2X in the 20th CVS build (I thought I heard it was going to be). If it is, what are the parameters to implement it (as i am sort of a newbie and use Dfend for about everything 😁 ). If it's not in this last build, I hope you don't mind my asking when it will be included. As always, I am amazed at how sweet dosbox is (once you get a taste, it increases the appetite...i feel sorry for you coders, 🤣.) You know that your users have track marks all over their arms, and their tolerance builds with each build, although you are much more altruistic then drug pushers, so i apologize for the analogy.

Reply 1 of 11, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

PRIESTLYBOY adds HQ2X patch to his CVS builds. Otherwise it is not yet part of normal DOSBOX CVS (which means that it may or may not be in 0.62 when it is released).

Mirek

Reply 3 of 11, by priestlyboy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

haha, yah I try to keep it uptodate but right now I need gulikoza to look over his Direct3D patch and TimeSync/CoreSwitch patch because of the inclusion of Core Simple. Which of course would break the way the latter patch works but I can't get a hold of his Direct3D vanilla patch because the link on his page is broken.
But as far as I can tell HQ2x patch and the Gulikoza Joystick workaround patch will work.
The ih8regs patch should work but he needs to set it up so that if you Don't have a joystick hooked up to your computer then it should register to DOSBox and the games that you don't have a joystick either.

I'm glad I made that build yesterday without the the modifications by Harekiet otherwise I wouldn't have gotten it out... 😐

Ieremiou
----------
Helping Debug DOSBox.

Reply 4 of 11, by Kalistan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You gotta give me your address so i can send you some caffeine and nodoze... 🙄 keep you working!

I just have expanded my dos collection, though to make Darklands look like a 1998 game, I think we're going to need HQ8X. That doesn't happen to be in the works does it?

Reply 5 of 11, by priestlyboy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

😮 hq8x... only scalers i've heard of in the hq*x are Hq2x, hq3x, and hq4x. (look at the ZSNES emulator)
Btw, the hq2x scaler is thanks to moe who posts updates to the code on and off at http://sourceforge.net/projects/dosbox patches page

Ieremiou
----------
Helping Debug DOSBox.

Reply 6 of 11, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

just have expanded my dos collection, though to make Darklands look like a 1998 game, I think we're going to need HQ8X. That doesn't happen to be in the works does it?

That's unlikely to happen. I own and love Darklands myself, but especially the overland view will look bad no matter what - there's not enough detail for any scaler to work with. Sorry.

Reply 7 of 11, by Kalistan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I didn't think that HQ8X would do any of that either or that HQ8X existed. One of my favorite spoofs, Spaceballs, has a commentator come on and a guy goes over the news and then gives a preview of Rocky 5000, 🤣. I think they cloned Sylvester Stalone a couple times...

Reply 8 of 11, by BladeFireLight

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

PRIESTLYBOY adds HQ2X patch to his CVS builds. Otherwise it is not yet part of normal DOSBOX CVS (which means that it may or may not be in 0.62 when it is released).

Mirek

not is 0.62? 😮 I got the CVS build recently and absolutely love the HQ2X. I have not had any speed issues with it runing and it makes x-com look like it's only 5 years old instead of 10 😁

-Blade FireLight

Reply 9 of 11, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Make sure you are using the settings from the Hq3x forum thread (the original one) when playing xcom. I used xcom as primary test game for the latest changes, so it is exceptionally well supported.

Reply 10 of 11, by BladeFireLight

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
`Moe` wrote:

Make sure you are using the settings from the Hq3x forum thread (the original one) when playing xcom. I used xcom as primary test game for the latest changes, so it is exceptionally well supported.

I tried thoes settings, However my untrained eye has problems telling what the diferance is. where can I get some info on what the two settings actualy do?

-Blade FireLight

Reply 11 of 11, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've written a rather long explanation, sorry, that's all I can say. The changes are indeed not much noticeable, but they are present. Taking xcom as an example, watch the in-combat mouse cursor over varying terrain, UFO interior and borders, the inside of houses... there are differences, subtle but present.

OTOH, if you don't mind and don't notice, stick with the default values - I've chosen them to be quite generally useful. I myself use them with most games.