VOGONS

First post, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm trying to get some TIE Fighter going in DOSBOX and I've found your CVS builds to offer performance well above the official .61 release. I can get TIE to run smoothly in SVGA, truly wonderful.

Problem is that my USB joystick isn't seen by your builds, even though they have the joystick patch. 0.61 detects it and it works, and it says the joystick's name in the DOSBOX status window (something that doesn't happen in your build.)

Is there some trick to getting the USB joystick working in these newest builds with your joystick patch?

Reply 1 of 8, by priestlyboy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Swaaye, Have you not checked out my builds.
Gulikoza used ih8regs patch instead of using his own joystick workaround patch in his last build.
At MyPixels.dk Forums I have been keeping the builds up to date with what DOSBox will be offering in the near future. That includes the full support range of screenshot and stuff. It is updated on a weekly basis.

We also did a forum update so now we are running IPB 2.0 PF3. It looks sweet. We are also looking for somebody who would be willing to make a skin for us. Or a new logo.

Ieremiou
----------
Helping Debug DOSBox.

Reply 2 of 8, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes..I applied ih8regs joystick patch to see how it works. To make it work, you have to map the joystick. Press CTRL-1 to get to the mapper screen, then assign the buttons and axes to your joystick. It's best to map both joysticks as TIE Fighter will by default use the second one. There's no message in this patch if joystick was detected or not. Btw, what settings are you using for Tie Fighter? Overlay, D3D, OGL? How many cycles?

Reply 3 of 8, by priestlyboy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Also there are a few things that need to be addressed on that patch. One it doesn't detect if you don't have a joystick installed so games that think you have a joystick but don't will say you do. And it doesn't detect 1 joystick it detects 2. So right now I am using gulikoza's joyworkaround patch because it is more "stable" by going back to the original way of detecting than using the mapper at this point.

Ieremiou
----------
Helping Debug DOSBox.

Reply 4 of 8, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well my settings are sort of in constant flux, 🤣. But, I think I've been using surface and d3d mostly. Overlay is blurry usually. I am using Yamaha's S-YXG50 softsynth for MIDI cuz it's much better than MS's(can't seem to edit the DLS file for MS's softsynth and my laptop doesn't have any sort of hardware wavetable.) Also using SB16 audio. It sounds friggin amazing, I'm very happy with audio.

I use dynamic core. I use different cycle levels depending where I am in the game. The cutscenes and game lobby (whatever you want to call it) need a much lower cycle level than in-cockpit. Everything is in slow-mo if I don't turn the cycles way down. Once in the cockpit I can jack it up quite a bit, but I don't remember the number offhand. It definitely runs better in dynamic core though and that is the main reason I want to use the latest builds, because TIE will eventually crash with .61's dynamic core.

Does the mapper work ok with analog sticks? I'd much rather have analog control than on/off digital-button-like movement.

Reply 5 of 8, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ok, I really, REALLY dislike that mapper.

Even after I map every button on my 10 button Logitech Rumblepad to both joysticks, I still can't shoot or target things in TIE. Hey, guess what, it worked FINE with the "old style" joystick support. Guilikoza please go back to the old way for a while....I'm using your 8/2/04 build now. it seems to work...

And, I don't like your '2 posts and maybe 24hrs from now you'll be able to download from my personal forum' thing going on priestlyboy. It's a bit excessive. I'll wait it out, thanks. What's the point of an unofficial forum anyway? We have this forum and the posts will be seen by many more people here, and as a result, help more people.

Reply 6 of 8, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ok, I have calmed down now. I was a little steamed after spending an hour messing with getting the joystick working, and failing.

I think I'll go post on your magic forum and see if I can get at that download. I'm having full-screen issues (it's blank) with some builds. Annoying since the joystick works fine with these builds since they have the other joystick patch.

Reply 7 of 8, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hmm...mapper works for me, kinda - haven't played that much. I'll see when I can make new builds, I've been quite busy these last few days I haven't even checked the changelog...

As for TIE fighter...I just read over at mypixels you're using AMD64. It really seems to give dosbox a lot of boost. Tie Fighter is not playable in svga on my XP2200+.

edit: you might also try to compile your own versions if you can't wait for the newest & greatest cvs 😁. It's not that hard to set up MinGW...

Reply 8 of 8, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's not entirely playable for me either. When the action gets going it really can get choppy. I find it strange how the in-game menus /screens need a totally different level of cycles than in-space gameplay. And, the music is very sensitive to cycles and can literally cut out when you look in a certain direction....it's really hard to tell what is most demanding in the game.

I'm using the latest build from mypixels. It works pretty well. I just wonder if your builds with SSE, etc, are faster or not....

maybe i should get PC Bench going and do a cycle to cycle comparison!