VOGONS

First post, by zbiggy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello!

Looking at dos games setups and soundcards emulated by dosbox I found some fine cards unsupported. They offer better sound quality than sound blaster.

Sound Blaster Pro DAC: 8bit 22,05kHz stereo

The cards which are missing:
Windows Sound System (known as WSS or MSS) DAC: 16bit 48kHz stereo
MediaVision Pro Audio Spectrum 16 (known as PAS16) DAC: 16bit 44,1kHz stereo
Adlib GOLD (known as GOLD sound standard) DAC: 12bit 44,1kHz stereo (could play 16bit samples)

It would be good to support them.

greetings,
Zbiggy

Reply 2 of 9, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

SB 16 (supported by dosbox): 16bit, 44.1kHz (or even 48?)

So what's the deal? Games that don't know SB16 are too old to come with 44.1kHz samples anyways, so emulating a PAS seems rather pointless to me. Look at data files of older games, you'd be astonished what low sampling rates they use. I've seen ugly 8kHz, but seldom more than 22.05kHz (that seems to be the usual sampling rate - probably due to the dominance of sbpro).

Reply 4 of 9, by priestlyboy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have discovered that Space Quest 4 does not "sound" right unless you put the OPLRATE and RATE to 44100.
This is for Soundblaster Cards of course.
I don't know why but it fixes the bad sounding notes that are emulated.
Otherwise every other game sounds just fine at 220500. Weirdness.

Ieremiou
----------
Helping Debug DOSBox.

Reply 5 of 9, by zbiggy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The WSS and PAS cards have better documentation. SB has some bugs like "reverse -stereo" bug. If someone could write emulator for these cards, games could run more stable.

Reply 7 of 9, by zbiggy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

There are other bugs. This one was only example. Some games simply do not work because of buggy SB driver. Emulation of alternative WSS or PAS could increase chance that game will run.

Reply 8 of 9, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think games supporting WSS or PAS natively are somewhat scarce. SB was the defacto standard for old games after Creative took Adlib crown and stormed the market with its SB soundcards.