VOGONS

PowerPC Dynamic Recompiler (patch)

Topic actions

Reply 80 of 137, by kas1e

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@Dominus
I have exactly the same issues with the same games when I use SDL1 build. So it probably should be DOSBox's endian issues. Maybe Jmarsh was in the impression that I have everywhere such issues, but nope, just "hugi" diskmag and those 3 games. And the common from all of them that they indeed use more colors than usual 256.

If you have some free minutes, can you plz check at least that "HUGI" mag on your PPC hardware, with SDL1 or SDL2 does not matter: https://files.scene.org/get:nl-ftp/mags/hugi/hugi17.zip

Thanks in advance!

Reply 83 of 137, by rzookol

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

First of all, big thx for writing PPC dynarec. I've made a port for MorphOS operating system and it works pretty well. (only //#define USE_SDA_BASE was needed). MorphOS runs on PowerMacs mostly and i'm testing DosBox on my PMac G5 2.3 PCIe. There is one strange thing regarding speed. I've checked Quake1 demo (timedemo demo1) and for some runs i got 24 fps (320x200), cycles set to max or auto and for some runs i got 16fps. It is totally random. Other users had similar results.

Reply 86 of 137, by rzookol

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jmarsh wrote on 2020-01-26, 02:27:

Check if the same thing occurs with the frameskip set to 1 or 2.

Hi, so i got only ~16 fps values with frameskip 1, 2, 3.

MorphOS has DFS2 turned on on PowerBooks and ImacsG5 so on PowerMacG5 it always runs full speed.

btw. What about playing with cache size defines, is it worth playing with them?

Reply 87 of 137, by kas1e

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@rzookol
I not sure if we can rely on those benchmarks in end. For example, for now, I set "cycles=100000", and in quake1 have 53fps. Same for PCPBench: more cycles I set, the more FPS I have _writen_, but visually all the same.

Reply 88 of 137, by kas1e

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@Jmarsh
I think there indeed something wrong with "fade-in/fadeouts" happens when JIT is used as ClassicHasClass found before. I found some games which with dynamic core enabled suffer from slow fade in/fade out, but when using "normal" it's more or less ok:

1). Mortal Kombat 3: issue happens not all the time, but most of the time when finish round and things should fade down. Sometimes it abnormally slow.
2). Fallout: all fade in/fade-outs in the whole game is slow. Cpu usage has not risen much, it is like something else make be slow.

With Fallout, it was very hard to check with core=normal, as without jit it pains on loading, but with Mortal Kombat 3 it was easy reproducible (because without JIT on 2ghz CPU its more or less fast as well). And so, when i didn't use JIT after round end, i always have fast fade out. When i use just, then sometime it ok, but most of time its like with micros-pauses. Like pause, then a few frames ok, then again pause. And that pause can be as fast as well as long enough. For example in the fallout, its probably a 1-second pause, and happens 4-5 pauses during fade in/fade out with Jit. With mortal kombat 3 it the same, but sometimes it can even be stuck and nothing happens. In very rare cases I even need to restart DOSBox.

And I can see that on a moment of those slow fade out/fade-ins, CPU loading are 100% (while in whole game about 50-60 while you play).

Reply 91 of 137, by rsalvaterra

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, guys! Sorry for the thread necromancy, but I was browsing around the SVN and I didn't see this patch merged. Are there any plans for upstreaming it, eventually? I'd love to give this a spin on my powerpc and ppc64 Debian machines. 😉

Reply 94 of 137, by rsalvaterra

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jmarsh wrote on 2020-05-08, 14:38:

It's missing all the required autotools/configure changes because I don't have a powerpc machine that uses them.

Have you tried requesting access to the GCC compile farm? They have BE POWER machines available for free software developers.

Reply 96 of 137, by samo79

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@Jmarsh

Hello mate,
Don't know if you are still working on the PowerPC optimization, but I've opened a ticket on dosbox-staging site asking some questions to the team and it would be nice to have your point of view 😀

https://github.com/dosbox-staging/dosbox-staging/issues/689

Reply 97 of 137, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Was a ticket opened on the official dosbox site?
What games?
What kind of performance are you looking for, hopefully something realistic?

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 98 of 137, by samo79

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DosFreak wrote on 2020-10-28, 18:27:

Was a ticket opened on the official dosbox site?
What games?
What kind of performance are you looking for, hopefully something realistic?

It wasn't a question related to a single specific game, it was merely a possible enanched request asking Jmarsh if it could be possible to improve a bit more (even just a little bit more) the performance of the dynamic core for PowerPC.. this may helps a lot low specs PPC based hardware

Reply 99 of 137, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

To do something there needs to be a reason.
Are you looking for 1fps, 2fps, 60fps?
How much faster does it need to be for what you want to do for which you are being vague for some reason?

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline