VOGONS

First post, by SiyMan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, I read a few of postings in the Appz forum and in each of them was the question of Win 3.11 or 3.1 in enhanced mode. Everybody said that it wont be run, so I was confused about it and tried it myself.

Here is the screenshot of my german Windows 3.1 in enhanced mode, working all right but the mouse and with installed Win32s:

win31dosbox.png

"Erweiterter Modus" is only the translation of enhanced mode, believe me 😉.

Well, I don't know if this information is new for you, but I'm glad to present it here for everybody 😁.

Reply 1 of 25, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Mouse does not work in enhanced mode. This is known problem
SoundBlaster will not work either.
IMHO Win32s also does not work (just try to run some Win32s application - e.g. the sample application installed with Win32s).

One request: PLEASE make smaller images next time. There are still people using modems (like me 🙁 ) and it takes time before a picture having a few hundreds KB is downloaded... Just choose lower quality in your favourite graphic program (it works like that for JPG, I guess it will be similar for PNG - you will get far smaller picture without losing quality noticably).

Mirek

Reply 2 of 25, by SiyMan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, next time I'll do it a bit smaller (like 640x480, the original resolution 😉) only for the 56k users, I used it also a long time before 😁.

But Win32s is running, the only problem is that there isn't a real MS-Dos 5.0+ wich is needed for Win32s 😉. I think a few releases later this problem will be fixed.

But why is the Soundlbaster not working ? I also have no sounddevices in the non-enhanced mode, can you give me drivers or an installation-guide for it ?

thx - SiyMan

Reply 3 of 25, by priestlyboy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have Win3.1 English which comes with the Soundblaster 1.5 drivers which should work and it does work in DOSBox when running Standard Mode. It freezes on me when in Enhanced Mode. I was playing a game of Solitaire in Standard Mode. :-p.
This is Windows 3.1 Standard Mode not the workgroups version or Windows 3.11.
If you have the Install Disks just copy them all to one directory *maintaining folders and such* and then go into windows 3.1 standard mode. Go to the Control Panel then Drivers and select Creative Labs Sound Blaster 1.5.
Then direct it to the Windows Installation Disks Dir and it should install it from there.
And this is MS-DOS 5.0 according to what it returns to programs. And if i'm right this is more Win16 then it is Win32 (Win95 and on is win32) and then there is Win64.

Ieremiou
----------
Helping Debug DOSBox.

Reply 4 of 25, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
SiyMan wrote:

But Win32s is running, the only problem is that there isn't a real MS-Dos 5.0+ wich is needed for Win32s 😉. I think a few releases later this problem will be fixed.

But why is the Soundlbaster not working ? I also have no sounddevices in the non-enhanced mode, can you give me drivers or an installation-guide for it ?

thx - SiyMan

Win32s: DOSBOX behaves as DOS 5.0. I think that Win32s needs file sharing (guessing). Well, but I did not try it recently (when I tried it it installed ok, but no application worked with it)... I will try it again...

SoundBlaster: just install SoundBlaster driver provided in Windows. It works in standard mode (appart from some stuttering - but stronger computer may help here).
In enhanced mode using of SB driver freezes Windows (or at least did it - I did not test it in 0.62 release yet) and it is necessary to remove it (either when running in standard mode or manually editing INI files).

Mirek

Reply 5 of 25, by priestlyboy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I reitterate. There is no Win32 in Windows 3.1. It's Win16. There is no system32 directory either. As there is in Win95 to WinXP. In WinXP 64 bit Edition there is the ability to run 32 and 64 bit programs. So we're talking win16 not win32. :p.

Ieremiou
----------
Helping Debug DOSBox.

Reply 6 of 25, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
priestlyboy wrote:

I reitterate. There is no Win32 in Windows 3.1. It's Win16. There is no system32 directory either. As there is in Win95 to WinXP. In WinXP 64 bit Edition there is the ability to run 32 and 64 bit programs. So we're talking win16 not win32. :p.

Wrong. There is Win32s extension (separate program, introduced in preparation for 32 bit Windows). It is normally installable in enhanced mode of Windows 3.1x.

There is a difference between Win32 and Win32s (just notice the "s" at the end 😀 ).

Mirek

Reply 7 of 25, by SiyMan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, Mirek wrote it in the write way, there is a difference between win32s and win32 bit standard-support. You can start some 32-bit progs on win32s but not all. E.g. there is an old version of IrfanView which runs under win32s, the newer versions don't !

k, I understand the installation of the sounddriver, I did it on my real PC (AMD K6 133 MHz 48 MB Ram 1,6 GB) with the by creative performed driver cd, so 😊 ...
But is anywhere a fix for the mouseproblems ?

And why don't you ask of my taskbar on the screenshot ? ^^ ASK ME ! 😁

Reply 8 of 25, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
SiyMan wrote:

But is anywhere a fix for the mouseproblems ?
And why don't you ask of my taskbar on the screenshot ? ^^ ASK ME ! 😁

Mouse works only in standard mode. There is not any officiall fix for enhanced (one of developers did a patch adding serial mouse, but this was not integrated - we support PS/2 mouse for which there is no solution).

Ok, so what about your taskbar? 😀

Mirek

Reply 11 of 25, by kekko

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@SiyMan:
how did you make windows run on dosbox? which configuration did ou use?
I successfully installed windows but I had problems to make it run:
it seems that dynamic core crashes it and there are also problems with
video card setup. All I can get is an error message on start about video
card error.
With normal core, if I select vga ver.3 in the setup, win seems to start but
then freezes during loading (console outputs exceptions and/or illegal
opcodes). can you help me?

Reply 12 of 25, by SiyMan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kekko wrote:
@SiyMan: how did you make windows run on dosbox? which configuration did ou use? I successfully installed windows but I had prob […]
Show full quote

@SiyMan:
how did you make windows run on dosbox? which configuration did ou use?
I successfully installed windows but I had problems to make it run:
it seems that dynamic core crashes it and there are also problems with
video card setup. All I can get is an error message on start about video
card error.
With normal core, if I select vga ver.3 in the setup, win seems to start but
then freezes during loading (console outputs exceptions and/or illegal
opcodes). can you help me?

Of course I can, that's why I posted this topic 😀.

At first it's important to know which version of Windows 3.x you use. There are many, so I give you examples: Windows 3.0, Windows 3.1, Windows 3.1 for Workgroups, Windows 3.11 and Windows 3.11 for Workgroups. If you have 3.11 in any version you can't install it, if you have 3.1 for workgroups and 3.1 you can install it but run it only in non-enhanced mode, 3.0 is installing and starting in every way 😀.

After you've given me your version we can start finding your problem, k ?

Reply 13 of 25, by kekko

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

excuse me, I forgot it 😅
The version is Windows for Workgroups 3.11
krnl386.exe ver. 3.11.0.300
setup a vga 3.0 video card (the only running ?)
with dynamic core it locks;
with normal core it starts; anyway the console loops on "Exception"
message that eats up resources, but now i'm getting it work a bit, but
is slow on my amd 2.6xp and no mouse support, obviously

Reply 14 of 25, by SiyMan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, mouse isn't supported yet, that's why you should start windows everytime with the progman as the shell (the standard 😉).

So, you have installed WFWG 3.11 already and on the start you got an errormessage or it freezes ? Edit your dosbox.conf and change the ems=true to ems=false. Than, normaly with an normal core it should start ...

Reply 15 of 25, by kekko

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Already done ems=false; maybe I'll just live with error msgs: do you also have exception and opcodes errors?
about the mouse: I tried to change driver from microsoft ps2 to logitech
and it worked until next restart, then I have to reinstall it (?)

Reply 16 of 25, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Well here's another screenshot (doesn't run out-of-the-0.62-box though).

soundblaster does not work in enhanced mode windows because
of paging issues, you can try to disable the virtual memory
(or how it is called)

@kekko: don't press any key during windows loading,
exceptions/illegal opcodes are normal (v86 and exception
handler setup)
dynamic core doesn't work

wd

Attachments

• win95_5.png
    Filename
    win95_5.png
    File size
    11.56 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 17 of 25, by priestlyboy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wow Windows 95.. Now that will be nice especially when trying to play Magic: The Gathering which will NOT run on Windows XP. Although, hopefully Manalink which is gonna be like an emulatorish thing for the orginial version including the addons looks promising. www.manalink.org is the main site which is a forum and everything is pretty much hush hush.

Ieremiou
----------
Helping Debug DOSBox.

Reply 19 of 25, by kekko

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

about cpu detection, I made those edit to cpu.cpp.
replace functions CPU_SetFlags and CPU_CPUID...

void CPU_SetFlags(Bitu word,Bitu mask) {
mask=mask|FLAG_ID; // Preserve ID flag
reg_flags=(reg_flags & ~mask)|(word & mask)|2;
cpu.direction=1-((reg_flags & FLAG_DF) >> 9);
}
#define FPU_FLAG 0x0001	/* Has an FPU */
#define VME_FLAG 0x0002 /* Virtual Mode extension */

void CPU_CPUID(void) {
switch (reg_eax) {
case 0: /* Vendor ID String and maximum level */
reg_eax=1; /* Maximum level */
reg_ebx='G' | ('e' << 8) | ('n' << 16) | ('u'<< 24);
reg_edx='i' | ('n' << 8) | ('e' << 16) | ('I'<< 24);
reg_ecx='n' | ('t' << 8) | ('e' << 16) | ('l'<< 24);
break;
case 1: /* get processor type/family/model/stepping and feature flags */
reg_eax=0x400; /* i486DX (0x52F for an Intel Pentium) */
reg_ebx=0; /* reserved */
reg_ecx=0; /* reserved */
reg_edx=FPU_FLAG | VME_FLAG; /* Feature flags */
break;
default:
LOG(LOG_CPU,LOG_ERROR)("Unhandled CPUID Function %x",reg_eax);
break;
}
}

Try to run this cpuid utility before and after...

Attachments

• Filename
    cpuid.exe
    File size
    10.15 KiB
    Downloads
    177 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception