VOGONS

First post, by DragonsLover

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried the game Captive on Dosbox 0.62 with with any emulation of Sound Blaster and for those who works, the sounds are less beautiful, it's like if there's less Treble to the sound... you know what I mean? Why on Dosbox 0.61 the sound is cleaner and not on Dosbox 0.62?

Of course, I'm still playing the game on Dosbox 0.61, but it's strange that the sound is less clean! Can you answer please?

Reply 6 of 16, by DragonsLover

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

For Dosbox 0.62? I know!

But I'm talking about Dosbox 0.61! I found that on Dosbox 0.62, the sound is less clean than on Dosbox 0.61. I tried with some games, and it's all the same thing: The sound is less clean. Is anybody else have noticed this?

Reply 8 of 16, by DragonsLover

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Have you read my first post?

I tried the game Captive on Dosbox 0.62 with any emulation of Sound Blaster...

The sound quality is... well, not poor, but less beautiful with any type of SB.

Reply 10 of 16, by DragonsLover

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It doesn't work!

Download the zip file in my attachment and listen the difference.

Attachments

• Filename
    CapSounds.zip
    File size
    88.47 KiB
    Downloads
    205 downloads
    File comment
    Unzip the file and listen the difference between Dosbox 0.61 and Dosbox 0.62
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 12 of 16, by priestlyboy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok this is a strange game. It seems to have issues with cycles being to high.
If you have it around say 4100 or so (not sure how precise this is from computer to computer) the soundfxs and music will work properly.
At around 4250+ the sound may or may not work.
It seems this game NEEDs to be played at low cycles for sound to work... That's quite odd. hmm.

Takes a while to figure out how this game works.
Just getting to the base is a challenge if you never played it. Lol.

Amazing Resource here
http://home.att.net/~captive/

Although I'm kinda lost with trying to get past this roller wall. 🤣.

Ieremiou
----------
Helping Debug DOSBox.

Reply 13 of 16, by DragonsLover

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, it's Captive 1 from Mindscape and I know how to play: I'm on mission 10!

To push roller wall, right-click the Up arrow on the screen.

You sure that the cycles of Dosbox influences the sound quality of the game?

Reply 14 of 16, by priestlyboy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It does for me.. very strangely.. yah I figured that out after messing around with it a bit more 🤣.

Ieremiou
----------
Helping Debug DOSBox.

Reply 15 of 16, by DragonsLover

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm back!

I tried changing the cycles and it doesn't change anything. Music and sounds work, but the sound quality of Dosbox 0.62 or 0.63 under Captive is less clean than on Dosbox 0.61. But on Dosbox 0.61, I got sometimes that fuck*** error (just look my other post about it) and the music of the game doesn't work perfectly. So, am I obligated to play Captive with a less good sound quality or there's something I can do to improve it?

Something strange that happens on Dosbox 0.61: At the start of the game, right after the introduction sequence and right before the screen of the game to appear, I hear a small "tac" in the speakers like if the volume of the sounds become louder, you know what I mean? In Dosbox 0.62 and 0.63, this doesn't happen!

What can I do?