VOGONS

First post, by martijnv

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi All,
I'm new here, so please excuse me if I'm doing rude things 😉

I was playing prince of persia in dosbox, whith the machine set to
hercules instead of vga, so I could play it the way I first played it. The only thing missing in my happy retrogame experience was: The color was wrong, i.e. it was white instead of the lovely yellow/orange of those old 'amber' monitors. So I hacked around somewhat in the source to see how hard it would be to 'fix' this. It turned ou to be pretty easy. Now my question:

would there be any interest in this functionality (it also can do green monitors , or actually any color you like 😉 )? If so I'lll port it to the latest cvs and make a nice patch.

--
Martijn

Reply 3 of 7, by priestlyboy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sure, I wouldn't mind it. I may add it to my DOSBox CVS builds that i do for people on Windows computers.
See my sig for where our forums are at.

Ieremiou
----------
Helping Debug DOSBox.

Reply 4 of 7, by jal

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
martijnv wrote:

would there be any interest in this functionality (it also can do green monitors , or actually any color you like 😉 )? If so I'lll port it to the latest cvs and make a nice patch.

It would be a good idea to have a "monochrome" setting in the INI-file somewhere, being able to set the monochrome color as well. For Hercules, a color would be enough, for CGA (my old CGA-monitor can do color as well as geen and amber (3-state switch on top)), a few levels would be needed. For EGA and VGA monochrome emulation you'd need more of course, including different base ports for some registers and blinking graphics... Maybe it is a good idea to keep it simple, and do Hercules color first 😀.

JAL

Reply 5 of 7, by martijnv

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, ill try to make a patch and post it here, so people can try it out.
At the moment it works by fiddling with the palette mapping table, so it'll only work for 256 color modes, but last time I looked that was all dosbox supported anyway 😉.

I'll wait for the reactiosn before sending it to the sourfeforge patches list.

--
martijn

Reply 6 of 7, by martijnv

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, ill try to make a patch and post it here, so people can try it out.
At the moment it works by fiddling with the palette mapping table, so it'll only work for 256 color modes, but last time I looked that was all dosbox supported anyway 😉.

I'll wait for the reactiosn before sending it to the sourfeforge patches list.

--
martijn

Reply 7 of 7, by coltrane

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It's exactly what I've been looking for a long time!!! Your idea is superb, since I had a PC-XT machine with a lovely green CGA monitor. You have my agreement to insert it into DosBox, so I can get rid of those CGA-VGA mode with that ugly cyan/magenta colors!! :happyhappy: