VOGONS

Mouse problem

Topic actions

First post, by Thunderhawk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I am trying to Constructor under Dosbox, which works pretty nice. I was wondering if you people could implent a function that will increase mouse speed, divided into X and Y speeds.

The problem is, that in Constructor, the mouse moves up and down fine. But horizontal it's WAY too slow. So if you could make some option in the configline like:

[mouse]
Xspeed = 1.0
Yspeed = 1.0

where you could change the mouse speed. For example, saying Xspeed = 2.0, will move the mouse twice as fast horizontal.

Thank you !

Reply 1 of 9, by jal

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm pretty sure that mouse speed isn't a hardware thing, but a software thing, i.e. you can set the mouse speed in both directions using the int 33h API. I'm not sure if DOSbox emulates this API correctly, or that you have to load a "3rd party" driver like mouse.com.

Having a parameter you propose in the config file would thus imho be a Bad Thing (TM).

JAL

Reply 2 of 9, by dmoyne

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is the mouse driver installed by default ? ; when opening DOSBox window from a linux console I have at the beginning the mouse active graphically in this DOS window ; when launching an application using the mouse if I click in the first window showing the mouse pointer desappears ; when using keyboard to choose option the mouse pointer reappears as a small losange that can move from character to character and behaves like in freedos except than when I quit the application I drop back in my Linux DOSBox window with no mouse ; I have to have to execute "exit" that leave DOSBox and get my mouse active again ; why all this ?

Reply 4 of 9, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php? … age=SpecialKeys

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 5 of 9, by JimLarimore

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The mouse speed is definitely way off in many of games. The vertical sensitivity in Lucasarts adventure games is about half what it was intended to be. Has anyone found a solution to this problem? If this problem were fixed, I would never have to use ScummVM again.

-Jim

Reply 7 of 9, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Only in lucas arts games ? Hmmm well i thought the mouse was a bit slow in eric the unready as well. (vertical direction)

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 8 of 9, by JimLarimore

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Perhaps not all LucasArts adventure games, but certainly the later ones. Compare running Full Throttle in ScummVM or on a legit DOS machine to Full Throttle running in DosBox and you'll have no problem noticing the difference. Same goes for The Dig. The vertical sensitivity is approximately half what it should be. The horizontal is just fine.

-Jim

Reply 9 of 9, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I noticed that the vertical movement of the mouse in Elder Scrolls: Arena is weird too - if you try to move too slowly in the vertical direction, the mouse cursor will get "stuck" on certain lines of the screen. Very annoying. I haven't tested with the latest CVS, nor with different sensitivity settings though.