VOGONS

First post, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was wondering why is there annoying screen tearing present in some games...At first I thought this might be if DOSBox refresh rate is not synchronized with the display rate, but now I managed to grab a screenshot which should not be refresh rate dependant. Is this a bug or a flaw in the emulation? I do not recall having any screen tearing in dos games...

Attachments

• Aladdin.jpg
    Filename
    Aladdin.jpg
    File size
    19.04 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 2 of 7, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Since the screenshot is made from dosbox internal buffer in render.cpp this should be well before any output settings. But I did try the fulldouble option (with surface output) and no change. I might add that I notice tearing in other games as well although it's less apparent if the screen is not scrolling horizontally.

Reply 4 of 7, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I followed your advice and set VGA_PARTS to 1. While there was still tearing in the games, the picture was only broken once in some frames. A typical issue when vsync is not used...
Then I dusted off some old computer I have lying around here and loaded the test games native in DOS 6.22. It seems that most games indeed do not use vsync as I noticed the same problems. I wonder if my vision is getting better through the years 😁. I could swear I never noticed this few years back.
Anyway, VGA_PARTS seems to help to some degree because it does not make weird artifacts when frame is split 3 or 4 times between frames. I didn't notice any slowdown so I guess I'll be compiling it like this.

Reply 5 of 7, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

it was there as the amount of time spend in the screenupdates (if it's in one part) caused sound stuttering now and then.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!