VOGONS

First post, by El Pollo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

in DosBox 0.61 you could specify 'machine=auto' in the conf-File for the type of machine DosBox should emulate. This worked perfect. Why was this option removed in Version 0.63 ?

Reply 3 of 11, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Because of conflicts. For example I remember a game which quietly detected Tandy and used it instead of EGA which it also supported. I found out about it only when debugging ...
When there is an automatic detection in a game, it does not expect a computer which knows both Tandy and VGA...
I thing that there is also some CGA and VGA issue with colors (for some CGA games CGA must be set anyway to get correct colours).

Mirek

Reply 7 of 11, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

And - finally there is this:

H:\Programmer\DOSBox
H:> set DOSBOX_DOSBOX_MACHINE=cga

H:> dosbox

H:> set DOSBOX_DOSBOX_MACHINE=hercules

H:> dosbox

H:>

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 9 of 11, by tokugawa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

But, eg Railroad Tycoon I, worked with VGA graphics and tandy for sound (which sounds way more better than adlib in that game)

now, i can't have goreous graphics and music at the same time 🙁

I propose force tandy sound on tandy system, but leave option to enable it on others systems

i actually use for now:
diff -Naur dosbox-0.63-old/src/hardware/tandy_sound.cpp dosbox-0.63/src/hardware/tandy_sound.cpp
--- dosbox-0.63-old/src/hardware/tandy_sound.cpp 2004-09-08 11:41:13.000000000 +0200
+++ dosbox-0.63/src/hardware/tandy_sound.cpp 2004-12-09 14:56:48.000000000 +0100
@@ -309,7 +309,6 @@

void TANDYSOUND_Init(Section* sec) {
- if (machine!=MCH_TANDY) return;
Section_prop * section=static_cast<Section_prop *>(sec);

IO_RegisterWriteHandler(0xc0,SN76496Write,IO_MB,2);

and it works :>:>:>

Reply 10 of 11, by jal

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
tokugawa wrote:

But, eg Railroad Tycoon I, worked with VGA graphics and tandy for sound (which sounds way more better than adlib in that game)

Although personally I don't agree with this philosophy, the DOSbox developers try to emulate (to a certain extent) a complete PC of a certain type, rather than lose components. They argue that, since there never was Tandy sound in a VGA machine, Tandy sound and VGA are mutually exclusive. However, I'd like to see Tandy as an option for soundcard emulation, like GUS and SB, but in some thread long ago QBix or one of the other developers explained to me why they didn't want to do that.

JAL

Reply 11 of 11, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

jal: there was a preson on this forum who said that he have tandy sound card for a normal pc. Read what Qbix said in the other thread: there are conflicts with this sound card with some games.