VOGONS

First post, by Tronic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have PCBoard running inside dosbox 0.63, on Linux. It initializes the modem fine and sits there waiting for calls. However, when I telnet to it, telnet connection is made but dosbox never talks anything via telnet. It seems completely dead. When PCBoard finally is terminated and it closes the port, the telnet connection gets disconnected.

Have I missed something or is this just a bug? Which kind of debug data should I collect?

SHELL:Redirect output to COM2
Modem Sent Command: AT

Sending OK
Modem Sent Command: AT

Sending OK
Modem Sent Command: ATZ

Sending OK

Note: nothing about incoming telnet connection.

Background: I had to set "Force NON-16550 usage: Y" in order to make PCBoard hear what the modem is responding (OK).

Reply 1 of 4, by angelox

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi - Are you still around? I'm wondering how you even got the modem to work at all, as I can't even seem to get that far. PCB runs fine with the "no modem" option, but when I activate a modem, it can't find it. You have any Ideas on whet I might be doing wrong?

Reply 2 of 4, by angelox

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

After fooling around with this all day, I figured out I can't get the emulated modem to work under Linux, but works fine under XP.
I only have access to one XP machine which belongs to my wife (I don't use XP or anything related)- I saw wereHad the same problem; was unable to to telnet to the DOSbox/PCB (carrier detected , but would not answer, or initiate a connection)- I'm pretty sure the reason why this happens is because The DOSBox/PCB is emulating a true modem and using the telnet port for an internet connection. When you telnet, to it - you have no modem to comunicate with the PCB modem software , so it just hangs there. Probably, if you ran a dos modem program inside dosbox , then dialed in to the dosbox PCBoard, it would work. I still have my old Dos QMPRO program, but i still need to figure out why I can't get this to work under LInux.
So, I won't try this out tell I can get it all working with Linux.

Reply 3 of 4, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The virtual modem uses tcp port 23 to listen by default, on Linux this port can only be used if ran as root afair. Specify a port > 1024 in dosbox.conf if that is the problem.

1+1=10

Reply 4 of 4, by angelox

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Problem was, I was using an old dosbox.conf file - My distro appears not to update the dosbox.conf in /etc when I compile ( i compiled as root).
The modem/serial sections in the conf were different , which made it not work at all. Only reason why I noticed, was I saw the XP Dosbox.conf which was up to date.
They should include the dosbox version in the dosbox.conf file and call it "dosbox.conf.new" 😀
Problem I have now is, I can't find a DOS modem program that will "Blind" dial , they all look for the carrier tone.
In any case, my idea was to set up a PCBoard BBS node for my nostalgic friends, so they could look at it once in a while. Thing is, even if I did get a DOS terminal program work, it would be too complicated for most users; Download terminal program , install DOSBox, set the com ports in the conf file, and what ever else comes up.
Here's a better solution; I think good fossil driver on the BBS side, with telnet on the client side might do the trick, but it seems most DOS (if not all?) fossil drivers, are not telnet compatible. I can make the fossil drivers I found work, but they still don't see the telnet call entering, they react same way as the normal modem connection does.
This is what I can understand so far, I never really had to get into fossil drivers and such before -