VOGONS

First post, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

I have noticed that many DOSBox users have problems getting their games to run in full-screen mode. It seems very much like a hit-and-miss affair?

The switch from 'fullwidth'/'fullheight' to 'fullresolution' in 0.62(?) probably do not help either, since searching the forum either turns up incorrect answers (for fullwidth/fullheight) or no answers att all (for fullresolution).

Looking at the configuration can also be confusing:

[sdl]
# fullscreen -- Start dosbox directly in fullscreen.
# fulldouble -- Use double buffering in fullscreen.
# fullfixed -- Don't resize the screen when in fullscreen.
# fullresolution -- What resolution to use for fullscreen, use together with fullfixed.
# output -- What to use for output: surface,overlay,opengl,openglnb,ddraw.
# hwscale -- Extra scaling of window if the output device supports hardware scaling.
# autolock -- Mouse will automatically lock, if you click on the screen.
# sensitiviy -- Mouse sensitivity.
# waitonerror -- Wait before closing the console if dosbox has an error.
# priority -- Priority levels for dosbox: lower,normal,higher,highest.
# Second entry behind the comma is for when dosbox is not focused/minimized.
# mapperfile -- File used to load/save the key/event mappings from.

fullscreen=false
fulldouble=false
fullfixed=false
fullresolution=1024x768
output=surface
hwscale=1.00
autolock=true
sensitivity=100
waitonerror=true
priority=higher,normal
mapperfile=mapper.txt

[render]
# frameskip -- How many frames dosbox skips before drawing one.
# aspect -- Do aspect correction.
# scaler -- Scaler used to enlarge/enhance low resolution modes.
# Supported are none,normal2x,advmame2x,advmame3x,advinterp2x,interp2x,tv2x.

frameskip=0
aspect=false
scaler=normal2x

I am sure it makes sense from a developers view to separate the settings into an SDL-section and an Render-section, but for the end-user it does not make sense. Or?

E.g. if the Render has to do with the quality of the graphics (scaler + aspect), would it not also make sense to move the 'fulldouble' setting into the Render section?

Similar, why not split the 'autolock' and 'sensivity' into a separate Mouse-section? Or at least lump them together with 'mapperfile' into an IO-section?

And - while we are at it - 'fullscreen', 'waitonerror' and 'priority' should be moved to the DOSBox-section.

After all this, the SDL-section can be renamed to '[ screen ]' and be trimmed down to just:

[screen]
# fullfixed -- Don't resize the screen when in fullscreen.
# fullresolution -- What resolution to use for fullscreen, use together with fullfixed.
# output -- What to use for output: surface,overlay,opengl,openglnb,ddraw.
# hwscale -- Extra scaling of window if the output device supports hardware scaling.

fullfixed=false
fullresolution=1024x768
output=surface
hwscale=1.00

Expand on the comments (because I still do not understand their relations) and perhaps more gamers will be able to enjoy their games in true fullscreen mode.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 1 of 2, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

it's in the order dosbox starts up the internal systems.

I didn't like the order too at the beginning, but since i know this^ I like it a bit more.

Other thing is that what is said in "dosbox guides" "how to speed up dosbox" should be enough for most people. If you bought a crappy hardware or don't know how to configure it, you won't be able to set dosbox.conf right. There are just too many otions even for a good GUI. And definitely editing dosbox.conf will neven be as easy for noobies as even a poor GUI. So in my opinion this problem should be solved by a GUI.

Reply 2 of 2, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have a nice idea for a GUI but I think it won't be possible to use it in D-Fend cause of the way it works.

1)
RESOLUTION: original, desktop, ____x____, ____x____, ____x____

original does:
fullfixed=false

desktop does:
fullfixed=true
resolution=0x0

____x____ do:
fullfixed=true
resloution=____x____

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2)
GUI tab for screen should have two sections:

Window mode
-hwscale
(hwscale should be grayedout when output=surface)

and

Fullscreen mode
-resolution
-fulldouble

3)
Other options should be in a common section
aspect
scaler
output