VOGONS

First post, by yyzkevin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

What I am trying to accomplish: To have a complete ipx/spx implementation (support routing, some undocumented novell functoins etc), the one that ships in dosbox is incomplete, absolutely excellent for its intended purpose but incomplete. I spent some time extending it, but it is tricky and could never be complete.

I then went the route of using a a packet driver and shims etc, which works however 115200baud is not enough. i looked at tweaking this too but arrive at overruns.

So what I am now investigating but would likely need help/collaboration with somebody is to implement ne2000 emulation, however instead of using pcap to talk to the host nic, use a UDP tunnel.

any thoughts?

Thanks!

Kevin

Reply 1 of 3, by yyzkevin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Speaking to myself here it seems not much interest in this.

I got a preliminary version of working. I can now specify tunnel mode in the dosbox-x config, allowing to skip using any of the pcap libraries to talk to the host nic, and instead establish a udp tunnel to a remote server. I wrote a simple server which functions as a basic Ethernet switch to accept multiple udp tunnels and forward frames appropriately. I am now able to connect to netware servers and execute games and programms off a shared drive among other things.

I have some more cleanup work to do on this, and I am contemplating if implementing bootrom support in this ne2000 emulated card is even possible. I was looking through the pcjr code for executing from rom cartridges to see if I can understand/re-purpose anything there.

for now, I have a tiny boot disk with lsl/ne2000/ipxodi/netx which is enough to boot and connect to the netware server.

Reply 3 of 3, by yyzkevin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am doing both. I am in the process of collecting old equipment to replace things I threw out over the years, I only kept hard drives and floppy discs.

For virtual I am currently using Virtualbox to run Netware 3.12 w/ IBM Classroom Lan Manager. I use the UDP Tunnel available in the VirtualBox to join its virtual switch it to my virtual switch where I can accept the various native dosbox IPX tunnel, my modified ne2000 tunnel, and slip connections with the shim drivers. I then run an additional VM with linux that is acting as a bridge to bring a physical 10baset segment into the mix where i have some old computers.