VOGONS

First post, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I noticed that MAME's OPL emulation code has been updated since it was incorporated into DOSBox. Are there any plans to merge the changes into the DOSBox source? Has anyone who knows what they're looking at compared the old and new versions to see if anything significant has changed?

I tried to replace all 4 or so files, and some of them broke; some changes must have been made to let them interface with DOSBox instead of MAME. I did a kludgy merge (I don't understand what the code is doing, so I had to guess what to merge and what not to) and got it working, but didn't notice any difference in the emulation quality (not that I expected to - I don't have any "problem games" as far as OPL emulation goes).

Just thought the devs (Qbix, Harekiet, etc.) might appreciate a heads-up.

Reply 1 of 1, by jal

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HunterZ wrote:

(not that I expected to - I don't have any "problem games" as far as OPL emulation goes).

As I wrote in the "DOSbox wishlist" thread, Rick Dangerous 2 has some problems with the OPL2 emulation. And as it uses the Ad Lib (the company, not the sound board) sound.com driver, the cause can hardly be a programming bug of some kind (in RD2, not DOSbox).

JAL