VOGONS

First post, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've managed to follow the DOSBox Wiki's instructions on building DOSBox (http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php? … =BuildingDOSBox) - which I've added to a bit BTW. I've also figured out (as I've posted elsewhere on this forum) how to build SDL so that it support's DOSBox's ddraw renderer.

I was wondering if people would be interested in me posting (weekly probably) Win32 (Windows) binaries of DOSBox and SDL compiled from CVS sources under MinGW. If so, then I have two questions:

1. Will Snover (and the DOSBox devs and other CVS binary maintainers for that matter) allow me to post them in a thread here on VOGONS? I don't have a web site of my own to post them on.

2. What options and/or optimizations would people want? There are a lot of packages I'd have to get to add things like screenshot support, debugging mode support, etc. Also, for my own use I enable optimizations for my Athlon XP that people with other systems (e.g. Pentium 4) wouldn't want.

I would probably update it sometime during the weekend, and probably not starting until early January (as this is the last weekend I'll be at home for a couple weeks due to the holidays).

Anyways, I just thought I'd throw out the idea to see what peoples' opinions might be. I don't want to step on anyone's toes or anything - I just figured that since I got it compiling for my own use, I could share with interested people that don't know enough about software development to do it for themselves.

Reply 1 of 8, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I personally am not a big fan of having cvs binearies in the same location as the stable dosbox.

I would suggest that you contact rjpa.
The forum he used to have, has been shutdown, but he will start something like it again in january
take a look at
http://7.rdu.dk/

(at the bottom is an email addres.)

Feel free to have different ideas though.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 2 of 8, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Understood. I was also concerned with flooding the community with a bunch of different versions of DOSBox CVS binaries, which could create a nightmare for you if people start reporting problems here. If rjpa is planning to make a comeback, then I suppose two CVS binary distributions will be plenty.

Reply 4 of 8, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yup...that's me 😁

Altough I'm begining to doubt my optimizations. I just tested the A64 version on my frinds comp (I have Athlon-XP only) and it's running slower(!!) than A-XP version. I also found out that official 0.63 version is quite fast as well. The -march settings mostly enable SSE & SSE2 support which probably doesn't add much (if anything) but break support for older cpus. Probably -mtune would do as good but run on all cpus...

Reply 5 of 8, by XTale

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I never was a fan of this "optimized for cpu xyz" builds as I never saw a (noticable) speedup

doing optimasations for release builds is ok, but I'm honestly to lazy to do it for weekly cvs builds ,)

http://www.aep-emu.de - AEP Emulation Page
http://cvscompile.aep-emu.de - DosBox CVS builds

Reply 7 of 8, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

-O3 (and some others that were mentioned here on the forum) is a must or you can't believe how slow it is 😁. I was specifically refering to the CPU optimizations that HunterZ mentioned since I bothered to do different builds...

Reply 8 of 8, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I just set up scripts (aliases probably would have been cooler) to run configure for SDL and DOSBox with the optimizations I wanted:

configure.dosbox:
#! /bin/sh
./configure --enable-core-inline CXXFLAGS="-march=athlon-xp -O3 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer" CFLAGS="-march=athlon-xp -O3 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"

configure.SDL12:
#! /bin/sh
./configure --with-gnu-ld CXXFLAGS="-march=athlon-xp -O3 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer" CFLAGS="-march=athlon-xp -O3 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"

So now I type /e/configure.dosbox instead of ./configure and the optimizations are placed in the makefiles for me.

I doubt that there's any significant performance increase, but I figured what the hell.