VOGONS

First post, by Giuliano

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone.

I've been playing using the SVN build for quite some time now. Until version 4329, all was fine. From 4329 I updated directly to 4356, and something odd happened — while playing, or watching a cutscene inside the game, sometimes the game freezes for (say) a tenth of a second, accompanied by a buzz sound, and then game resumes normally.

In a game that takes 1 hour to play, this happens about 3 to 4 times. If I replay the game, it occurs again, but not at the same spots as before.

In all builds prior to 4329 (and including 4329) this never happened.

Any hints?

Last edited by Giuliano on 2020-09-02, 01:57. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 6, by Giuliano

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi jmarsh,

I edited my last sentence, since my message was unclear.

All releases until 4329 (including 4329) were fine. From 4329 I updated to 4356, and 4356 was not fine.

So, the problem appeared in a to be determined release between 4329 and 4356.

Reply 4 of 6, by Giuliano

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi ripsaw8080,

I'm sorry I've started this new post unnecessarily. When I downloaded r4356, I rewrote dosbox.conf to my liking, from scratch. When I did it, I left an inconsistency: I changed [sblaster] oplrate to 49716, but inadvertently left [mixer] rate at 44100. When I changed [mixer] rate to 49716 as well, the problem was gone.

Answering your question, I was noticing the problem in two games I was playing: Day of the Tentacle, and Indiana Jones: The Fate of Atlantis.

Reply 5 of 6, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Differing rates causes internal resampling, but the freezes and buzzing sounds you mentioned seem more severe than expected results. What cycles setting are you using for the games? What OS and processor are you using to run DOSBox SVN?

Reply 6 of 6, by Giuliano

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am using "cycles = fixed 5000". Processor Intel Core i7-7700HQ @ 2.80 GHz. Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Version 2004.

I am really at a loss—I tried today to recreate the problem by recreating the mismatch between oplrate and rate, but alas the problem did not occur. Your answer, regarding the problem severeness, convinced me that the problem was not DOSBox related. It was probably some other issue in my computer that I can't figure out yet. Presumably some other process was using too much of the CPU in the background, without my awareness. In any case, if the problem occurs again, I will report it here.