VOGONS

Question about video processing

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 32, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yuck. Could you two tell me a time when you're online? I'd love to go through the code and test/fix it live. Since my time is a bit scarce, I'm unable to hang around "just so". If you give me a way to contact you, I'd send you my jabber id, that's the best way to get in contact.

Reply 21 of 32, by trioptimum

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, unfortunately, I can use an adequate machine (with an 9800 pro) and are online only in weekends, so I can't help you. The error in gdb is this:

This GDB was configured as "i686-pc-mingw32"...
(gdb) run
Starting program: C:\msys\home\Iv n\dosbox-moe\src/dosbox.exe

Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
[Switching to thread 3888.0xf8c]
0x004d4ce3 in probe ()
Current language: auto; currently c++
(gdb) back
#0 0x004d4ce3 in probe ()
#1 0x7c802600 in _libwinmm_a_iname ()
#2 0x004a7570 in RenderThread(void*) (data=0x0) at sdl_opengl.cpp:370
#3 0x6acb93ac in SDL_RunThread (data=0x3dc0d8) at SDL_thread.c:218
#4 0x6acb96a1 in RunThread (data=0x3dc0d8) at SDL_systhread.c:44
#5 0x7c80b50b in _libwinmm_a_iname ()
(gdb) exit

If you set a breakpoint in SDL_RunThread, it crashes in the line calling InitOpenGL. If you set a break in InitOpenGL it crashes before 😜 the first line, so my guess is that the other thread does funny things inbetween. Then it could be solved changing the semaphores, but I had no time to debug that. Perhaps if you could find a way to make non-bocking OpenGL calls the problem would go away 😀 BTW, the other (non OpenGL) HQ2x filter works very well, I tried to run BattleSpire but it needs 15bit color 😵

Reply 22 of 32, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Funny thing is, I've had lots of crashes with this multi-threaded stuff, too, and it only went away after moving every single OpenGL call into one thread. I think it's impossible to get non-blocking behaviour, as some of the requirements given by the OpenGL spec are quite strict (as in: "function X may not access any data after it returns", stuff like that).

Reply 23 of 32, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

`Moe`, did you find the crashing bug yet? If nobody else is willing I can test some code. I did manage to compile your OGL support in, but as trioptimum reported it will crash. But I'm afraid I'm not that handy with gdb...

Reply 24 of 32, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd be grateful for a pointer to docs about a decent development environment on windows (cygwin/mingw based). While I do know all the usual software that has been ported, some practical guide for quickly getting into compiling (and debugging) dosbox on win would be very nice. I recall once seeing one on another forum. I usually tend to stay clear of developing on windows as far as I can (bad experiences) 😀

Reply 25 of 32, by _aLfa_

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all, I'm new to this forum and I have my first question 😜
I've noticed that in the current CVS build, there is an option to turn on hq2x post processing filter, but I've tried to put 'hq2x' in the 'scaler' setting in dosbox.conf without success. I wonder if I'm doing something wrong to enable this scaler, or it is not enabled yet?

Reply 26 of 32, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You should ask the one who did that build you are trying to use. There is no "official" CVS build, and CVS doesn't even include hq2x yet.

Reply 27 of 32, by _aLfa_

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
priestlyboy wrote:
Latest DOSBox CVS version - 12-28-04 source build. Patches in DOSBox CVS - 1. HQ2X Patch by Moe 2. Direct3D patch by Gulikoza 3. […]
Show full quote

Latest DOSBox CVS version - 12-28-04 source build.
Patches in DOSBox CVS -
1. HQ2X Patch by Moe
2. Direct3D patch by Gulikoza
3. CoreSwitch and Timesync Patch by Gulikoza
4. Flags and Fexs Patch by esaelon
5. SDLKLess patch by seppel

Well I made my question based on this post by priestlyboy, but maybe I understood something wrong 🙁 Care to explain?

"I only know that I know nothing..."

Reply 28 of 32, by Jiri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

`Moe`, could you attach your build with the latest hq2x patch to the forum? Priestlyboy made a build with your (not the latest version I think) patch but the site CVS Builds (Once A Week) : http://rdu.dk/forum is down and compiling DOSBox with your patch is not an easy task for less experienced users.

Reply 29 of 32, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sorry, I'm still trying to get windows building at all, I'm doing development on linux. When I've got it working and the bug fixed, I can post the resulting binary if there's a need. But as usual with my development, have a little patience. This is spare time after all 😉

Reply 30 of 32, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

_aLfa_: what exactly doesn't work for you? If the cvs has hq2x compiled in, putting hq2x in the scaler= directive is all you need to do...
btw, my builds available at http://home.amis.net/lkslavi also have hq2x compiled in. It is the somewhat older version (the one without shader support) since the new one does not yet work on windows. Hope `Moe` manages to fix it 😁

Reply 31 of 32, by Jiri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thank you for reply, `Moe`.

gulikoza wrote:

btw, my builds available at http://home.amis.net/lkslavi also have hq2x compiled in.

Thanks for the link.

gulikoza wrote:

Hope `Moe` manages to fix it 😁

I hope too. 😀