VOGONS

First post, by Wendell

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello! I have been compiling Dosbox 0.61 and 0.63 with roughly the same errors on a Sharp Zaurus C860. It is a 32-bit ARM platform.

Kernel version 2.4.18-embedix. 64mb ram/64mb swap, sound disabled.

I am using libSDL with sound disabled, for now.

Initially, I was getting complaints that int SDL_main could not be found, but I think I fixed all that. When I actually get it to compile, it immediately exits with SDL error: Can't open mouse .. or something close to that.

Anyway, I updated my SDL to one that is zaurus-compatible, but being an embedded platform, that one does not have CDRom support compiled in SDL. Is there an easy way to remove CDRom support from dosbox 0.61-0.63? Thanks.

Errors are numerous.. stuff like:
dos_programs.o(.text+0x4158): undefined reference to `SDL_CDName'
etc.

Is there any interest in patche(s) to make configure detect the zaurus/arm platform, and compile accordingly?

Reply 1 of 6, by iampiti

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I guess that SDL is to blame in this case. I find strange that SDL doesn't support cdrom in the zaurus port. If the device doesn't have a cdrom SDL should fake it or something. If the Zaurus port of the SDL requires you to modify your programs I wouldn't call it a real SDL
😁 .
Regarding the patches: There's a PocketPc port and AFAIK that code is not integrated into the main dosbox. Anyway the devs have the last word about it.

Iampiti

Reply 2 of 6, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

well your best guess is to create/modify a sdl file so all cdrom calls become empty function.

As far as I'm concerned: We aren't going to comment out our cdrom support because the zaurus port of sdl lacks some standard sdl functions.

Just create the empty functions for them. Odd that sdl doesn't do that themselves.

If there are other special things needed on zaurus i'm willing to take a look at the changes needed to see if we can include them in the cvs.
But not missing functions in the sdl port.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 3 of 6, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah I agree that the Zaurus port of the SDL is where attention should be focused. As Qbix suggests, the cdrom API component of SDL should be ported to the extent that it routes calls to dummy functions that don't actually do anything.

Reply 4 of 6, by Wendell

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah, you guys are right but I was hoping I wouldn't have to do that. yet. Or I'd find someone that had already done everything.

Ultimately, that is probably where I will end up. LibSDL on Qtopia on the zaurus has a lot... LOT.. of other problems, and I really didn't want to open that can of worms. 😀

The patches I was thinking of were mainly for the make file and configure script, for now. It seemed to have some problem with automake 1.4 I was using on the Z. The version of GCC that is 'standard' on qtopia seems to be picky about where the -lSDL occurs on the command line, for instance. It wants the -l at the end, or it doesn't seem like it can resolve some symbols.

(It is possible it is just binutils, though. I'm not sure yet.)

Thanks very much though.

Reply 6 of 6, by chyang

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have made it compiled successfully. The main problem is with SDL, you should configure it with the CDROM support, or it will complain either compile time or run time. But I do have problems at present. The SDL QT_SetVideoMode cannot return. 🙁