VOGONS

First post, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hey everyone. Okay, I'm using a version of DOSBox compiled from the CVS on Friday, but this issue has been around for quite some time. I've been playing Wizardry 6: Bane of the Cosmic Forge a bit over the weekend, and it uses the PC speaker for playing low-quality digitized sound effects. Unfortunately, DOSBox's emulation of the PC speaker for these kinds of sounds has an issue that results in a lot of popping noises (mostly at the beginning and end of each sound). This also happens in Wizardry 7: Crusaders of the Dark Savant (which is also supposed to support the Sound Blaster as an alternative, but DOSBox doesn't emulate the Sound Blaster well enough to run Wiz7 in SB mode).

I've already posted this to the bug tracker on Sourceforge, but I thought maybe it would help to start a discussion here and to provide you (the DOSBox team mostly) with a better idea of what I'm talking about. I've recorded the output of the game running in DOSBox and made both an MP3 and a screenshot from a wave editor (both attached to this post). You can clearly see and hear the weird popping.

My guess is that this might be an issue with the original sound data and not DOSBox, but that you don't hear the popping on a real PC speaker because real PC internal speakers suck. It would be nice to be able to compensate for this in DOSBox somehow - maybe have an alternate PC speaker emualtion mode that ramps, dampens or even eliminates these "pops" - I don't care as long as it stops the popping sounds from driving me insane while playing these games... 😵

It's probably not good for speakers/headphones to have to reproduce those clicking sounds either, which cause the speakers to slam much harder to a new position than is expected in normal operation.

I should also mention that I tried to take a look at the PC speaker emulation code a few months ago to see if I could work on it myself, but I couldn't make heads or tails of it. There weren't any helpful comments or other documentation... 🙁

Attachments

• Filename
    w6dosbox.mp3
    File size
    22.13 KiB
    Downloads
    604 downloads
    File comment
    For your listening "pleasure".
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    w6dosbox.png
    File size
    65.85 KiB
    Downloads
    217 downloads
    File comment
    Screenshot of recording in a wave editor. Notce the big squareish jumps.
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 4, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

This has been long known problem in DOSBOX I would like to see eliminated as well.
It is switching on/off of speaker.
It is probably difficult to fix it, otherwise it would have been done (developers certainly know about it).
Maybe QBIX/Harekiet can explain more ...

Mirek

Reply 2 of 4, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm glad I'm not the only one that is annoyed by it, and I'd also like to hear something from the Qbix/Harekiet/whoever about it.

I would also like to see DOSBox enhanced to work properly with Wiz7 in Sound Blaster mode. The problem is that Wiz7 sends the sound data to the card one sample at a time (just like the way it drives the PC speaker) instead of using the DMA buffer. The way DOSBox currently emulates the Sound Blaster results in the sounds being played at such a low pitch that they're not recognizable.

Reply 3 of 4, by _aLfa_

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

HunterZ if you want to have a look at the source code again, maybe this document can help you: http://www.gamedev.net/reference/articles/article442.asp

Good luck mate 😉

"I only know that I know nothing..."

Reply 4 of 4, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thanks - I just found gamedev.net a few weeks ago myself and it looks awesome, although I haven't spent much time there yet 😀 I might read that article and then see if DOSBox's PC speaker code makes more sense.