VOGONS

First post, by JHawx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

While tryeing to run wing commader: privateer, you receve following message:

"protected mode driver is not responding to EMS funktion calls.
Make sure your EMS driver is not configured with the NOEMS option.
If it is, replace the option "NOEMS" with "RAM" "

Is it possible to configure this type of ems memory emulation to dosbox? 😈

Also some other ideas for dosbox:

.bat kind of commands. I would like to do .bat type of selector that would mount my selection of drives. also "type" command from file would be great.

so in basic simulation, i would create menu.txt that would be shown from beginning of dosbox.

autoexec.bat
" type z:\menu.txt"

and after that z: would contain following bat files:

"z:\dir
1.bat
2.bat
3.bat etc..."

1.bat has commandline
"mount x c:\games\oldies\tetris
x:
tetris.exe"

2.bat has commandline
"mount x c:\games\oldies\monopoly
x:
monopoly.exe"

and so on...

But these cannot be done with corrent emulation. So type command and .bat type of solutions could be really welcome add to dosbox. 😅

Reply 1 of 5, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Many moons ago, I tried something like that, but I soon abandoned the idea of a mega menu and a gazilion of configuration files in favour of a simple, game-specific dosbox.conf file each game.

It is the method favoured by the many DOSBox frontends out there (read all about frontends here).

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 2 of 5, by JHawx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

as i ralized, that previous option was taken and i did not search hard enough for the answer, feeling stypid,i pondered myself the next solution.

new moon rose and i got into moon madness... while transing in my madness... crasy idea rose to me.

wy dont we create great box called "folder" where i create electrical hieroclyptic scripts called ".bat files" and mount it in "autoexec.bat selection.

ok... sounds stypid, but the experimentations continues until i get my alchemy right... 🤣

Reply 3 of 5, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I must admit, I don't entirely get what you want, but batch files work, the "type" command works, dosbox.conf has a section called "autoexec" - now guess what it does. To access batch files from everywhere, you need to set PATH as it was in original DOS. The only important difference to real DOS is the need to mount drives before they can be used. Put your batch files and menu text into one folder, mount that via [autoexec], and go on from there. Hint: recent dosboxens even support the "choice" command from MS-DOS.

Reply 4 of 5, by JHawx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

no problem... allready got this to work.

Dosbox did allready contain features to support .bat command line funktions and supports type command. 😒 ...as moe said before. the darn thing was just to mount it first.

bat contains ready set funtions e.g. you could type in command for funktion
1.bat
"mount x c:\games\game1\
x:
rungame.exe"

this would mount game to drive x: and run it. 🤣

by connecting "menu" to startup (in autoexec portion of config) you receve system that shows you the menu...
autoexec
"mount m: c:\games\menu
m:
type menu.txt"

menu would show the explanation of games bidden to "keys" set to ".bat" files.

like this (mine actually works):

+----------------------------------------------+-------+
| Games on menu press # and [enter] | works |
+----------------------------------------------+-------|
| 1. WingCommander - Privateer | N | * Y = Fully Works
| 2. Master Of Magic | Y | * n/S = No Sounds
| 3. Master Of Orion I | Y |
| 4. Mega-Lo-Mania | Y |
| 5. Legend of Kyrandia2 - Hand of fate | Y |
| 6. Legend of Kyrandia3 - Malcolms revenge | n/S |
| 7. SimCity 2000 | Y |
| 8. Princess maker 2 | Y |
| | |
+----------------------------------------------+-------+

m:\

...and so on. When you press number and enter, the game launches. 😁

The system works, but has drawbacks too 😢
for every game you would have to add it to the list and create the .bat file too.

you mentioned "choise"... this is new command for me.(even though i used the original dos) how does it works? any link that you would have ready? 😮