VOGONS

First post, by vasyl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a simple question about PAGING_LinkPage functionality: right now it looks like memory page can be mapped as read-only, write-only, or read-write but in the last case both read and write access will always go to the same physical page. Shouldn't this be more flexible -- two separate functions GetHostReadPt and GetHostWritePt instead of a single GetHostPt?
The reason why I am asking is that I was trying to emulate different video hardware and found that implementing separate read and write banks is not possible with current DOSBox memory model.

Reply 3 of 7, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

apart from fixing 3 buggy games it doesn't add anything new/useful to dosbox.
or the banked modes should result in faster stuff, but i doubt that.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 4 of 7, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Isn't it good that he made DOSBox more compatable with old games? I thought that's what it's goal is.

From the DOSBox readme:

While we hope that, one day, DOSBox will run virtually all programs
ever made for the PC...we are not there yet.

You sound stubborn...

Reply 5 of 7, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think what Qbix is saying is that implementing a new video card for new games when the fixes could be included with the current video card is a waste of time.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 7 of 7, by vasyl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I knew I will get in trouble mentioning video in my first post. My original question was not SVGA-related. That's only that the most common hardware using this MMU feature (separated read and write mapping) was SVGA chipsets. You want something different? All right, some SCSI adapters, video grabbers, all kinds of proprietary hardware somebody may care about and attempt to emulate. All I was asking or rather suggesting was some extra flexibility in the core, and that without compromising performance.