VOGONS

First post, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have a feeling this has been discussed, but I'm not sure what to search for to find it.

I've been spending a lot of time playing games in DOSBOX this last week. Dark Forces, TIE Fighter, X-Wing, Under a Killing Moon, Tekwar, Wing Commander 3, Crusader: No Remorse....

I've tried them all with dynamic core of course. But, I've noticed that in many games normal core seems to run better. The game will run smoother and more consistently with normal than dynamic. This is especially true in Dark Forces where the game is greatly smoother with normal core. X-Wing is similar, and so is Under a Killing Moon. And with dynamic core sometimes even running at the same cycles as normal core is not as fast.

TIE Fighter on the other hand, with DOS32A, seems to really benefit from dynamic core.

I'm using DOSBOX CVS 050221 (Gulikoza's build). My system is a Athlon 64 3000+ with 1gig of PC3200. I usually can run about 15000 normal cycles.

I'm not posting asking for tech support or anything. I'm just wondering why dynamic core behaves like it does.