VOGONS

First post, by WodahsEht

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Two commands that would be highly useful and probably not too difficult to implement:

1) "CYCLES" ... alone, this command would display the number of cycles DOSbox is currently using. With a numeric argument, it would set the number of cycles. Ex: CYCLES 15000 would set the CPU to do 15000 cycles per millisecond.

2) "CORE" ... like the above. Alone it would tell you which core is currently active. With an argument it would set the current core. Ex: CORE FULL would switch to the full core on the fly.

I realize both of these things can be accomplished with keyboard shortcuts (core only in gulikoza's build), but it would be useful to have these commands for batch files. I'd prefer to be able to set these two options on the fly from within the console. I also realize that this all could be accomplished using seperate config files and shortcuts for each, but if I'm playing DOS games I'd rather deal with a simulated DOS prompt 😀

Reply 1 of 9, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

well the setting of stuff will be supported in the next version
the displaying I don't know yet.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 2 of 9, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Qbix(?) have been working on stuff like this. Not sure when we will see it though.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 3 of 9, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Qbix, I see that you have this in the latest CVS now. I also noticed that, while you can change all settings, some of them don't take effect. Do you know which ones will and will not have any effect when changed on the fly?

Reply 4 of 9, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I know 😀 Ideally all setting should work, but didn't get to adding them all.

Reply 5 of 9, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

at the moment dos (ems xms) cpu sblaster gus midi modem pcspeaker work
maybe more/less but It's been while when I worked on that specific part.

waiting on harekiets changes before I start on sdl and render

Reply 7 of 9, by laxdragon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I can vouch for Qbix here. I'm running a CVS build and the settings via the DOS prompt work great. I can now enable/disable EMS/XMS via the command line. Makes it very nice for my DOS menu I use. I've created batch files for each game that set the best cycles and memory settings. Wonderful stuff really.

Reply 8 of 9, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author
robertmo wrote:

hm.. will DosBox go into a loop if i add xms=false in [autoexec] section in dosbox.conf? 😉

works fine. only takes a bit more time then putting the xms=false in the appropiate place.

you can do commandline:
ems false
ems=false

config -set "dos ems false" <----offficial syntax !
although most variations will be be accepted as well. even the ems=false from the plain commandline