VOGONS

First post, by ZakMcKracken

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

First off , im new to this forum (but using dosbox for a while now 😊 )
What i want to know is , if it would be possible to dump the emulated memory and running CPU instructions to a file to create something like save-state ?
(i know that other emulators get that done , but im unsure if it would be so easy with the different CPU-core modes/sound emulation implemented into dosbox)
The file would essentially get as big as the emulated memory setting in the dosbox.conf + data for current running sound/CPU emulation, but it would be possible to "save" anywhere in any game at any time.
So , any plans/thoughts about this ? 😁

Reply 1 of 2, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This has been discussed but determined to be very difficult. You'd have to save the states of not only the CPU and RAM, but also of other hardware (sound and video). The real killer is disk state - what if a game writes some data to the hard disk while playing? If you don't save the state of the files, things could get weird. But, this would make the save states massive.

Reply 2 of 2, by ZakMcKracken

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hmmm , yes , disk-state would mess up many things, especially after reloading a state the allready modified file would get really messed up 😦
but if the files that are "open" would be saved as well , how many dos games WRITE in large data while running?
But then again it should be working for all applications , and there i think ur right that it would take some space, sure not an easy task to programm, anyway thx for the info 🙄