VOGONS

First post, by mhex

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

Whenever I run in full screen and I alt-tab dosbox 0.63 shuts down instantly

I've used filemon to see what files it reads before closing, all I can see is that it creates a file called stderr.txt or whatever it's called, which says " segmentation fault" SDL parachute deployed whatever message (I searched the forums, yes I've seen the several posts on this, but haven't seen any description of a way to fix this that I could see)

I've tried with Nvidia drivers 71.89 and 76.50, it didn't help. I've also tried closing all apps on my side and even using the "don't close dosbox" option, but that didn't help

Running winxp.. any tips appreciated, this is an annoying bug, otherwise dosbox rules..

Anything I could try? Thanks

Reply 1 of 8, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

SDL is a platform independent device library that DOSBox uses for many things - including screen handling. You can either try fiddling with the output= setting in dosbox.conf, or you can try to find an newer (or older!) version of SDL.dll and drop it into the DOSox folder.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 2 of 8, by mhex

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the help

I've tried SDL 1.0.8 dll, dosbox won't run.. and SDL 1.2.8 runs fine, but the bug it still there. I'll keep checking for more SDL.dlls, I can't seem to find more

Output is in overlay.. I've tried surface, same problems

Thanks again, if you have more tips lemme know

Reply 5 of 8, by ASM

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I noticed another ALT-TAB issue.
When I run DOSBox in fullscreen, switch to another app (via ALT-TAB) and then return to DOSBox I cannot run DB in windowed mode anymore. I can still see both windows in the taskbar, but the DB main window is "hidden". However I can switch back to fullscreen w/0 problems and continue using DB.

Reply 6 of 8, by Freddo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ASM wrote:

I noticed another ALT-TAB issue.
When I run DOSBox in fullscreen, switch to another app (via ALT-TAB) and then return to DOSBox I cannot run DB in windowed mode anymore. I can still see both windows in the taskbar, but the DB main window is "hidden". However I can switch back to fullscreen w/0 problems and continue using DB.

Yep, same thing happens with me. Not sure if happens with older versions of DOSBox, though.

Reply 8 of 8, by mhex

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

sorry to reply again.. just discovered that by turning off Hardware Acceleration (in control panel / directX / directDraw) it fixes this alt-tabbing bug (overlay mode).. so yea something is bugged up with overlay mode and alt-tabbing