VOGONS

First post, by joe_pool_is

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have been searching for two problems we are addressing at my work place, and I was told that the solutions were to be found in VOGONS' forum "somewhere."

The first "fountain of youth" was described to me as a patch that would allow DOSBox to run as fast as the processor would allow - as opposed to setting a Timer tick or clockrate. After searching the boards, I found two possibilities: One mentioned the new dynamic core settings, whereas another thread had a link to a timesync.patch file (the source code looks like something UNIX to me). Does anyone understand what I am looking for? Are there better keywords to search under?

The second upgrade supposedly takes the code for the modem and juggle around the settings so that DOSBox is tricked into writing out a COM port. I found some information on IPX tunneling, mention of serialport.h with something called BananaCom, Qbix's statement that RS232->TCP/IP could be specified in the config file (did not see where in 0.63's file: dosbox\src\platform\visualc\config.h), and the phrase "Netplay implementation in ZSNES (the closes looking match yet).

I've spend the day reading through several posts, and I am just about brain dead. Does anyone have any additional input for my search? If you make it easy and just dump it in my lap, I promise not to complain.

Wanted: Gasoline and matches.

Reply 1 of 6, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The dynamic core is just faster then normal, it is still bound by cycles options. What you might be looking for is timesync patch mentioned a few times on the forum, it's available on my page: http://home.amis.net/lkslavi (as well as some other experimental patches 😀 ). The patch file is a standard *nix diff file which you can apply to the source by *nix patch utility, vs.net probably can't process them.
The serial ports can work by enabling directserial. I'm not sure how complete the support is in cvs but there's a patch enhancing it here on the forum: DirectSerial patch

Reply 2 of 6, by joe_pool_is

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks gulikoza. Those were the two topics I needed.

Questions about the timesync.patch: I am not a UNIX user, so let me make sure I understand what is going on with it.

"timesync.patch" is a batch file that runs in UNIX and compares two files (diff), then adds, replaces or deletes individual lines of code from those files based on the following (+) and (-) symbols, Right? What about lines without a (+) or a (-)?

Finally, what does the "@@ (numbers) @@" do?

Reply 3 of 6, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
joe_pool_is wrote:

"timesync.patch" is a batch file that runs in UNIX and compares two files (diff), then adds, replaces or deletes individual lines of code from those files based on the following (+) and (-) symbols, Right? What about lines without a (+) or a (-)?

Finally, what does the "@@ (numbers) @@" do?

Not quite 😉 A true Unix guru named Larry Wall created a program named patch back in 1984. patch takes as input a 'diff' file and applies the changes described in the 'diff' file to your local text/source file.

The 'diff' file itself is created (surprise, surprise) by a program called diff. diff can produce 'diff' files in many diff(!)erent formats, with varying amount of guidance/synchronisation information to help patch do its job.

Lines without (+) and (-) are examples of such synchronisation information, and is generally associated with a diff format known as 'context diff'. Lines with @@ are usually indicative of an 'unified diff', a newer variant of 'context diff'. patch can understand these and many other formats.

PATCH(1)                                                              PATCH(1)

NAME
patch - apply a diff file to an original

SYNOPSIS
patch [options] [originalfile [patchfile]]

but usually just

patch -pnum <patchfile

DESCRIPTION
patch takes a patch file patchfile containing a difference listing pro-
duced by the diff program and applies those differences to one or more
original files, producing patched versions. Normally the patched ver-
sions are put in place of the originals. Backups can be made; see the
-b or --backup option. The names of the files to be patched are usu-
ally taken from the patch file, but if there's just one file to be
patched it can specified on the command line as originalfile.

Upon startup, patch attempts to determine the type of the diff listing,
unless overruled by a -c (--context), -e (--ed), -n (--normal), or -u
(--unified) option. Context diffs (old-style, new-style, and unified)
and normal diffs are applied by the patch program itself, while ed
diffs are simply fed to the ed(1) editor via a pipe.

patch tries to skip any leading garbage, apply the diff, and then skip
any trailing garbage. Thus you could feed an article or message con-
taining a diff listing to patch, and it should work. If the entire
diff is indented by a consistent amount, or if a context diff contains
lines ending in CRLF or is encapsulated one or more times by prepending
"- " to lines starting with "-" as specified by Internet RFC 934, this
is taken into account. After removing indenting or encapsulation,
lines beginning with # are ignored, as they are considered to be com-
ments.

With context diffs, and to a lesser extent with normal diffs, patch can
detect when the line numbers mentioned in the patch are incorrect, and
attempts to find the correct place to apply each hunk of the patch. As
a first guess, it takes the line number mentioned for the hunk, plus or
minus any offset used in applying the previous hunk. If that is not
the correct place, patch scans both forwards and backwards for a set of
lines matching the context given in the hunk.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patch_%28Unix%29

Last edited by MiniMax on 2005-05-28, 00:32. Edited 2 times in total.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 5 of 6, by joe_pool_is

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I wanted to post my results for those of you that might be interested in them:

I built 4 versions of dosbox:

The attached zip file Gamer.zip has these 4 different builds included along with the dosbox.conf files that go along with them.

I am not providing any warranties, just the builds. They were all built using Visual Studio .NET 2003 with Visual C++ (i.e. they work on Windows machines).

I have not gotten into actually programming or changing any code in the dosbox project at this time, so I will not be much help with technical questions. I should have the source code, however, for those of you interested.

I hope the zip file included below is beneficial to some of you.

Attachments

• Filename
    Gamer.zip
    File size
    1.73 MiB
    Downloads
    161 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception