VOGONS

First post, by Leolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi!

I'm really ecstatic right now, I've just found your DosBox binary (2005-04-29) and I'm playing absolutely smoothly the cdrom version of Tie Fighter in high resolution! Yay! I never thought this could be possible!!

This miracle worked after setting timesynched=true:

tie1.png

tie2.png

But there's one thing I don't understand: why does the window say 70 FPS? My LCD monitor is set to 60 Hz, not 70. Where does the "70 FPS" figure come from?

PS: I'm using an Athlon XP 3000+ (Barton core) with 512 MiB of DDR SDRAM and Windows XP SP2.

Kind regards.

Reply 2 of 9, by Leolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for the reply, HunterZ.

By the way, if I set timesynched=false I get a big performance hit and the sound becomes choppy:

tie3.png

Do you know why? Why is the timesynched mode so fast?

Thanks.
Cheers.

Reply 3 of 9, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

it's not fast.
if you disable it you should lower your cycles. It's an alternative timing method.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 4 of 9, by Leolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,

Now you've totally lost me.

When I set timesynched=true, I can get close to 60000 cycles and still run smoothly with correct music and sound.

However, if I set timesynched=false, I get choppy sound and slow gameplay even with 50000 cycles. I have to lower them to 35000 aprox. to play the game smoothly again.

Why can I get almost 60000 cycles with timesynched=true?

Are the cycles reported in one mode directly comparable to the cycles reported in the other mode?

Thank you.
Regards.

Reply 5 of 9, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In non-timesynched mode, both cycles numbers should be roughly the same (that's why the = character). If one number is significantly lower then the other, the number of cycles you have set is too high for your computer, the FPS drops, sound becomes choppy...
In timesynched mode, the number of cycles represents an estimate how much cycles you should set to run in non-timesynced mode. Timesynched mode should not be faster, it's usualy the otherway around 😀. In non-timesynched mode it usually possible to get an extra 1000 cycles or so...

Reply 6 of 9, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

unless the game uses a very odd system in a way that the cycles are one turn enough and the other too little.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 9 of 9, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Also, to add to what others commented on about your number of cycles: Depending on the game, I usually don't go much higher than 30000 with dynamic core and without the timesync patch, so your values of 50000 to 90000 are quite high.

Also, you have to realize that if you turn off timesync, you have to manually lower your cycles to a level that your system can handle. It's kind of like the difference between manual and automatic transmissions in cars 😀