DOSBox SVN Builds

Topic actions

Reply 160 of 294, by Taiyoumaru

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kolano wrote:
James-F wrote:

Dude, DOSBox, Nes, Snes, Sega, is all about the pixels, remember how we loved them in the 90s, and still do today.
xBRZ is for children who grew up with flash cellphone games... lame. 😵

I was very happy with my Matrox G400 providing bilinear filtering of 320x200 content back then, and continue to be pleased by scaling improvements over the years. I don't appreciate xBRZ that much since, as far as I recall, it drops shader support; but would like to see XBR scaling more widely available. In fact it kind of infuriates me when modern titles like Shovel Knight, Volgarr the Viking, or Odallus fail to provide such options, or try to get away with terrible blurry scanlines.

I am quite curious as to why you prefer xBR over xBRZ, is there somewhere I could go or an emulator I could download that supports both so I could check the image quality? Or does xBR by itself not produce a better looking picture, but in concert with a shader it could?

Reply 161 of 294, by ghostlamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

To kolano and Taiyoumaru,
If you want some superb upscale like xbrz, but with use of shaders (it called ScaleNx), you may be interested in dosbox version used in retroarch.
There are predefined shader preset with 9x upscale ratio (4K resolution).

Reply 162 of 294, by Enverex

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all,

Was Glide/3DFX support ever merged back into DOSBox mainline? I notice the original (2012?) Glide patch does still successfully apply against DOSBox, but it doesn't build anymore once that's been done (even if you fix the include names).

Basically looking at running Carmageddon (in 3DFX mode) on Linux and, whilst DOSBOX-X supports Glide and seems to be the only remaining fork in development, it doesn't seem to support a dynamic core on x86_64 rendering it a bit useless compared to even the stock version.

Reply 164 of 294, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

It is/was in the cards but never got added, yet. AFAIK the devs were dishearted by the way the GPL was abused...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 165 of 294, by Yesterplay80

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

FYI: I just updated my enhanced build with by bloodbats / truth5678s / Matt Giucas patch for FluidSynth support -> DISABLED AGAIN, NOT WORKING

So it includes the following patches now:

1. 3dfx Voodoo emulation patch by kekko
  2. Patch for pixel perfect scaling by Ant_222
  3. Patch for enhanced scalers (normal4x, normal5x, normal6x) by VileRancour
  4. Nuked OPL3 patch by nukeykt
  5. Patch for emulation of correct frequencies for Gameblaster cards by OPLx / NewRisingSun
  6. Patch for FLAC support using disc images by NewRisingSun
  7. Patch for FluidSynth support by bloodbat / truth5678 / Matt Giuca -> DISABLED AGAIN, NOT WORKING
  8. some changes to the look I made

UPDATE: I tried to get FluidSynth working for quite some time now, but couldn't get it done.

Last edited by Yesterplay80 on 2016-10-18, 12:09. Edited 2 times in total.

My full-featured DOSBox SVN builds for Windows & Linux: Vanilla DOSBox and DOSBox ECE (Google Drive Mirror)

Reply 166 of 294, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Yesterplay80 wrote:

Thanks!
Although it doesn't work.

mididevice=fluidsynth
midiconfig=mysoundfont.sf2

Result:

MIDI: Can't find device:fluidsynth, finding default handler.

my important / useful posts are here

Reply 167 of 294, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

In the thread about the patch the device name is "synth" not "fluidsynth"

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 168 of 294, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I believe Yesterplay80 compiled the latest patch on the second page of that thread, where 'synth' is no longer relevant.
I even placed the missing libfluidsynth-1.dll.... nothing.
Always run "config -wc" to have the latest commands show in the configuration file.

Anyway, I use Flacosoft Soundfont Midi Player to load Soundfonts and as a VSTi host.

my important / useful posts are here

Reply 169 of 294, by Yesterplay80

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Actually it turned out that FluidSynth doesn't compile, but DOSBox does. So I have to work out the problem with FluidSynth first. So please forget what I wrote in the meantime! 😉

My full-featured DOSBox SVN builds for Windows & Linux: Vanilla DOSBox and DOSBox ECE (Google Drive Mirror)

Reply 171 of 294, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Coolhaken, I'd suggest vDos for that https://www.vdos.info

Reply 172 of 294, by coolhaken

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Dominus, Firefox says that your link is not safe.
Then I go to sourceforge.net/projects/vdos/ and look it's description.
It seems that vDos is not meant for me.
I have a game about asterism/fate in Chinese Language, it runs under Hercules mode only and needs a printer for some result.
It works fine in DOSBox_MB6 except the support for Print Screen key and interrupt (DOSBOX_SVN_r3961).

Reply 173 of 294, by Yesterplay80

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
coolhaken wrote:

Can you add the printer support patch like the Daum/MB6 version to your enhanced version for me ?

To be honest, printer support seems to be a feature so scarcely used, it's not worth the hassle to me. I'm more interested in features that make games look and/or sound better.

Reply 175 of 294, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
jarreboum wrote:

Any chance of adding this patch?
https://sourceforge.net/p/dosbox/patches/100/

Btw what is the reason not to have all these patches integrated into the main branch?

Hasn't this been discussed in length by now? Many patches add stuff that is not needed for games. Or in this case it edges DOSBox closer to warez (illegal copies, abandonware) which the DOSBox developers don't want to encourage.

Reply 176 of 294, by jarreboum

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dominus wrote:

Hasn't this been discussed in length by now?

Most likely. But you know, newbies asking questions...

Dominus wrote:

Many patches add stuff that is not needed for games. Or in this case it edges DOSBox closer to warez (illegal copies, abandonware) which the DOSBox developers don't want to encourage.

How does this make it closer to warez?

Reply 179 of 294, by Yesterplay80

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jarreboum wrote:

Maybe not but you can zip them yourself? I don't get the piracy link here.

Piracy apart: Why would you want to do that? DOSBox already offers the possibility to use OGG files instead of full images containing CD-Audio, already reducing the amount of space required to store a DOS game on your hard drive by ~70%. Then, game developers often already use some internal compression for game files, so zipping them often isn't worth anything.

For example, I just looked at the sizes of "Destruction Derby": The game folder including the ISO, the OGG music and the installed game is 158 MB. Zipping it results in a zip file with 153 MB. Not really worth the hassle, isn't it? And I'm pretty sure, loading times would rise as well.