Filename
DOSBOX_3Dfx.7z
File size
1.25 MiB
Downloads
174 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

My full-featured DOSBox SVN builds for Windows & Linux: Vanilla DOSBox and DOSBox ECE (Google Drive Mirror)

Reply 102 of 294, by Yesterplay80

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

ripsaw8080 released SVN r3972! Instead of uplaoding them twice I will, from now on, only host the binaries on my Google Drive:

r3972 vanilla: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxEUSpZ8xHk … eVEwa01nTXFWZ2M
r3972 with kekkos 3Dfx patch: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxEUSpZ8xHk … Mm1PUWU2MzBmRGM

My full-featured DOSBox SVN builds for Windows & Linux: Vanilla DOSBox and DOSBox ECE (Google Drive Mirror)

Reply 104 of 294, by Yesterplay80

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
lightmaster wrote:

Virus detected in both files...

Strange, apart from Google Drive scanning a file for viruses before a file is downloaded or shared (https://support.google.com/a/answer/172541?hl=en), I just checked them again on 3 different systems with 3 different scanners (Microsoft Defender in Windows 10, TrendMicro Officescan in Windows 7 and Antivirus Essential on my Synology NAS) and none of them detected anything. So it's safe to say the files are 100% OK, I'm pretty sure your antivir is reporting false positives. Which one are you using? And which virus does it report? Maybe I can reproduce the warning.

Reply 105 of 294, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Yesterplay, apart from the Virus Warning, can you make a fixed download link for the builds and only update a previous post that you made a new build? With the busy (ha!) development of Dosbox I think that's better than posting everytime anew when you make a new build.
OR make a new topic just for your builts (and update that as often as you want to) and link that topic once here and maybe the Wiki.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 106 of 294, by lightmaster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeh, so strange i disabled realtime monitoring, downloaded the zipped files, enabled realtime, rescanned and nothing, this is ms's security essentials...
Happened when downloaded both files with chrome...

25071588525_735097840e_b.jpg

Reply 107 of 294, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I tested with three different scanners and found no threats. I even had virustotal scan it and all 56 AVs found nothing. https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/61bcb2353e … sis/1458837203/

I have had to deal with people that got a false positive with one of my files and started a public chicken little freak out without verifying with other AVs. False positives are far too common, especially with certain AVs. I just wish that people would double check before accusing.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 108 of 294, by Yesterplay80

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, the most important thing is that the files don't contain anything elese than the pure joy and fun of DosBox! 😀

Dominus wrote:

Yesterplay, apart from the Virus Warning, can you make a fixed download link for the builds and only update a previous post that you made a new build?

Yeah, that idea already crossed my mind, too. Therefore I now created a shared folder in Google Drive that can be reached via this link: http://bit.ly/1Up7Xgy

It contains two self explanatory folders, one containing only the current build and the other containing archived builds. Could someone with access to the wiki please update it, I don't want to create another account just for that. Thanks!

Reply 112 of 294, by Yesterplay80

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Damn, you're right! Now I tried all versions back to r3955 (which was the first build I compiled) and they all have the same problem. Now I don't really understand anything about programming, I just followed the Wiki, so I thought I did something wrong setting up the whole MinGW environment, so I did everything again, set up a new environment, downloaded all the libraries and sources again and compiled DosBox. But the error remains. I did some research but so far came out empty handed. 🙁

So, I wont release another SVN build as long as I can't find out what the problem is. In the meantime, please stick with other surface modes if possible.

Update: I found out that the problem seems to be the SDL.DLL. The Wiki says to copy the DLL from the package you downloaded following the instructions. Which is Version 1.2.15 (or rather 1.2.14, according to it's own details). But If you use the SDL.DLL provided with the original 0.74 release instead, DDRAW works flawlessly. That's version 1.2.13 and it's the same version EMUCR is using with their build. Yet it differs from the official 1.2.13 release from the SDL homepage, it is bigger, too, so it seems to contain some changes that are required to get DDRAW running. So please just replace the SDL.DLL with the one from either the official or the EMUCR build and everything should work normally. I've replaced the DLL in my build files as well.

Reply 114 of 294, by Yesterplay80

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ripsaw8080 wrote:

The DDRAW changes are in src/platform/sdl-win32.diff if you want to try making the same changes in a different version of SDL 1.2.x.

Ah, thank you! I applied the changes to the source code of the 1.2.15 SDL, except this one:

case WM_SYSKEYDOWN: {
/* Pass syskey to DefWindwoProc (ALT-F4, etc.) */
}
- break;
+// break;
case WM_KEYUP:
case WM_KEYDOWN: {
/* Ignore windows keyboard messages */;

If I get this right, the original code is meant to tell DosBox (or whichever application uses the SDL.DLL) to break the DDRAW surface whenever a system key press is detected, but is effectively commented out by the diff file. Since, beginning with version 1.2.14, the "break" command is missing anyway, I believe this part of the diff can be ignored completely?

/* The keyboard is handled via DirectInput */
case WM_SYSKEYUP:
case WM_SYSKEYDOWN:
case WM_KEYUP:
case WM_KEYDOWN: {
/* Ignore windows keyboard messages */;

The compiled DLL file seems to work, so far I didn't run into any error. But it is over 500KByte, so if there isn't any other benefit rather than using a more up-to-date version of SDL, we could as well stick with the old one, right?

Reply 116 of 294, by Yesterplay80

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Can anyone give me a hint on how to remove the dependencies to the vcruntime140.dll and the msvcp140.dll? I compiled the sdl.dll using Visual Studio 2015 and now it always looks for those 2 dlls. Compiling in MINGW32 didn't work.

Reply 118 of 294, by Yesterplay80

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm still looking for testers with Windows XP for the new sdl.dll I compiled. I don't have access to a physical XP machine any more so I could only test it under 2 VMs. On both, usingd DDRAW the resolution doesn't change and screen doesn't get filled when switching to fullscreen, the actual image stays small and centered. On Windows 7 and 10 it seems to work as it should.

Could someone with a real XP machine please try out the latest SVN with one of my latest SDL 1.2.15 versions? I have 3 versions compiled, one is optimized for speed, one for size and one with full otimisation setting in Visual Studio. So far I couldn't see any difference.

You can find the SVN of DOSBox and the SDL builds in the folder linked to in my signature. Thank you!

Reply 119 of 294, by Azarien

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've tested `DOSBOX SVN r3979.7z` with SDL.dll included and from `SDL 1.2.15 (fully optimized).7z` on a laptop with XP.

Both work fine: fullscreen text mode, Quake in 320x200 and 1024x768.

What VM are you using? Maybe it simply doesn't support resolution switching. VMware Player doesn't, for example.