VOGONS

DOSBox SVN Builds

Topic actions

Reply 240 of 294, by Great Dragon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It is. I've copied all files from your archive into dedicated directory.
2d919f531222407.jpg

UPDATE:
Shaders dir was renamed from "glshaders" to "shaders" because I tried to find out what is wrong with my config.
I've tried all methods to enable shaders. The one from original thread and the second from Dugan's build https://github.com/duganchen/dosbox/blob/mast … ENHANCEMENTS.md

Reply 241 of 294, by Yesterplay80

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

And how do you run dosbox.exe? Just by double clicking it or by specifying the full path to the conf file?

My full-featured DOSBox SVN builds for Windows & Linux: Vanilla DOSBox and DOSBox ECE (Google Drive Mirror)

Reply 244 of 294, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It definitely works in SVN r4006 ECE.
Although, not my cup of tea...

test.png
Filename
test.png
File size
431.59 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

my important / useful posts are here

Reply 245 of 294, by Great Dragon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

James-F
Could you please attach an archive of your doxbox dir?

Maybe this shaders support has some hardware restrictions?
I'm using GTX970 and don't have any issue running CG/GLSL/Vulkan shaders in RetroArch.

Reply 246 of 294, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Did you RTFM as specified by Yesterplay80? 😐
Place the glshaders dir where the capture dir and .conf are.

123.png
Filename
123.png
File size
48.41 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 247 of 294, by Laukku

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I had the same problem, but after seeing James-F's screenshot and taking a closer look at the wording in the conf:

Note that in case it is used, the respective shader files must be found in the "glshaders" subdirectory relatively to where the default DOSBox configuration fiel is stored. For shader file naming convention, suppose that you have a pair of shader files ready: mysample.glslv and mysample.glslf.

I copied the shader folder to C:\Users\[User]\AppData\Local\DOSBox (default location where conf is stored) and now it works! Now the problem is that the interlaced shader interprets the image as interlaced video (i.e. removes every other line).

My YouTube account, with miscellanous DOS game stuff: http://www.youtube.com/user/LaukkuTheGreit

Reply 248 of 294, by Great Dragon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Laukku
Thanks. After copying shader dir to the default location it starts to work as expected. C:\Users\[User]\AppData\Local\DOSBox

This has to be added to a readme file. Because it's not very obvious and more over not very convenient to keep one part of files in your favorite dosbox dir and the other part in a system app dir.

Reply 249 of 294, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Great Dragon wrote:

not very convenient to keep one part of files in your favorite dosbox dir and the other part in a system app dir.

That's why I have a shortcut to the appdatat\local\dosbox\ dir in the more conventional DOSBox dir.
If I remember correctly, if you install dosbox there should be a shortcut to the Capture dir already somewhere in the default dosbox dir.

Anyway, as with MAME HLSL or other emulators, CRT Shaders are not something that I use, mainly because they look nothing like the real thing. 😀

Reply 250 of 294, by Great Dragon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Another question. Did someone manage to run Duganchen's shaders?
https://github.com/duganchen/dosbox_shaders
They are in GL formal and even have similar file extensions but simple renaming them to GLSLF/V doesn't work. I get only a black screen.

GLSL shaders from libretro pack don't work as well. But I guess they use different approach to code shaders as they keep everything in 1 file.

Last edited by Great Dragon on 2017-02-07, 17:35. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 251 of 294, by Great Dragon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
James-F wrote:

if you install dosbox there should be a shortcut

I thought DosBox doesn't require any installation. I thought it's a regular archive which I can extract and use wherever I like.

James-F wrote:

CRT Shaders are not something that I use, mainly because they look nothing like the real thing

I agree on the shaders provided in this thread (ECE).
But others might look very decent. I like CRT.D3D.br from Daum-SVN. It makes me feel very nostalgic.

Last edited by Great Dragon on 2017-02-07, 18:02. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 252 of 294, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Dosbox doesn't require an installer but when you use the installer it will create a shortcut.
And the folder structure is actually quite simple:
- the folder Dosbox is run from (default is Program Files/Dosbox)
- folder where the config and other stuff is stored at C:\Users\[User]\AppData\Local\DOSBox - this needs to be in the user space as on modern Windows the Dosbox default install folder is read only
And THAT is in the readme.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 253 of 294, by Great Dragon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dominus wrote:

this needs to be in the user space as on modern Windows the Dosbox default install folder is read only

1. I didn't install any of 5 different dosboxes I try. I've just copied them to dedicated dir each.
2. If you make dosbox to read .conf file from current dir why do you need to make it check system user dir only in case of shaders? Without checking current dir first.

Reply 255 of 294, by Dagar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You can get rid of the screen curvature effect if using the CRT-interlaced shader by commenting out line 33 in the ' CRT-interlaced.glslf ' file in the glshaders directory:

Change: #define CURVATURE
to: //#define CURVATURE

Reply 256 of 294, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
Great Dragon wrote:
Dominus wrote:

this needs to be in the user space as on modern Windows the Dosbox default install folder is read only

1. I didn't install any of 5 different dosboxes I try. I've just copied them to dedicated dir each.
2. If you make dosbox to read .conf file from current dir why do you need to make it check system user dir only in case of shaders? Without checking current dir first.

Please take this up with whoever made the shader patch.
This is the point where I get the strong urge to get this thread off anything but announcements of builds. Especially when the problems that arise are reading problems AND/OR with inofficial patches.

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 258 of 294, by Yesterplay80

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dominus wrote:

This is the point where I get the strong urge to get this thread off anything but announcements of builds. Especially when the problems that arise are reading problems AND/OR with inofficial patches.

I just created a thread for my build here, feel free to move anything related to DOSBox ECE there.

My full-featured DOSBox SVN builds for Windows & Linux: Vanilla DOSBox and DOSBox ECE (Google Drive Mirror)

Reply 259 of 294, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Thanks, I'll try to sedate the kids, so I have time to do that 😉