VOGONS

DOSBox SVN Builds

Topic actions

Reply 200 of 294, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Search the forum, there is a way, but basically along with general brokenness of Daum, the OS X binary is even more broken, the dependencies scattered or incomplete in the download.
And please don't mistake YOUR interest in the OS X megabuild interest as general interest. The network emulation thing can be made to work on OSX, I had it working once but it DOES require at least sudo rights and possibly a disk image. Please do not write your problem in a thousand threads over and over.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 201 of 294, by Yesterplay80

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

FYI: DOSBox ECE now contains the MT32 emu, so for better MIDI playback with games supporting it, please redownload it again!

My full-featured DOSBox SVN builds for Windows & Linux: Vanilla DOSBox and DOSBox ECE (Google Drive Mirror)

Reply 202 of 294, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks. I have been trying to steer people away from ykhwong's given that it is broken and his "everything including the kitchen sink" builds are just asking for trouble. I am often asked how to use Munt with DOSBox, but obviously building is not a solution for many. This gives me a recent build I can recommend.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 203 of 294, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Which enhanced build is most up-to-date and contains most of ykhwong's included patches? (except for dosbox-x which breaks a lot of stuff).

Reply 205 of 294, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Please post munt questions/critique in the Mt32 emulation forums.

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 206 of 294, by lukeman3000

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dominus wrote:

Please post munt questions/critique in the Mt32 emulation forums.

My apologies. This question was in relationship to specific DOSBox SVN builds that feature MUNT integration, so it seemed like a 50/50 of where I should post. But now I see that I chose the wrong place.

Reply 207 of 294, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Please try with a plain Dosbox built with the Munt midi driver to test where the problem lies

Reply 208 of 294, by lukeman3000

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dominus wrote:

Please try with a plain Dosbox built with the Munt midi driver to test where the problem lies

Hi -

I did testing as suggested and my results are similar. The vanilla DOSBox and MUNT installed separately sound great to me. However, the SVN r4006 ECE with integrated MUNT still has what seems to be some kind of distortion.

The results of my tests are here.

Reply 209 of 294, by Yesterplay80

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OK, it seems that this problem is sorted out. Another update of DOSBox ECE: Now with Fluidsynth support! I'll keep the build separate for a while until enough people had time to play with it. So far it worked very good here! 😁

UPDATE: And by adding rcblakes patch you can now chose your Win32 midi device by name, instead olny by number, as well:

dosbox_listmidi.png
Filename
dosbox_listmidi.png
File size
6.34 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

No more need for obsolete third party tools to change the primary midi device in Windows, at least for DOSBox.

My full-featured DOSBox SVN builds for Windows & Linux: Vanilla DOSBox and DOSBox ECE (Google Drive Mirror)

Reply 211 of 294, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
Yesterplay80 wrote:

No more need for obsolete third party tools to change the primary midi device in Windows, at least for DOSBox.

You could always chose the number in Dosbox, you never needed to rely on the primary midi device in DOSBox 😀

Reply 212 of 294, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Being able to choose by name is an advantage since the order can change. If you select the device number in the conf and the order changes the number in the conf will be wrong.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 213 of 294, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
James-F wrote:

Clearly, the ECE edition is the new Daum replacement.

I hope not. It is great having a build that provides more accurate audio and a few enhancements like Munt, I would really hate to see this become another everything-including-the-kitchen-sink build. Each added patch creates another possibility of breaking it. So many of the patches don't help gaming. For example, the printer patch is clearly not needed for nearly all games. There is VDosPlus for all of that.

The current set of patches is nearly ideal.

Reply 214 of 294, by Laukku

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
collector wrote:
James-F wrote:

Clearly, the ECE edition is the new Daum replacement.

I hope not. It is great having a build that provides more accurate audio and a few enhancements like Munt, I would really hate to see this become another everything-including-the-kitchen-sink build. Each added patch creates another possibility of breaking it. So many of the patches don't help gaming. For example, the printer patch is clearly not needed for nearly all games. There is VDosPlus for all of that.

B-b-but I wanna have the CRT shader too! 😢

Seriously though, I see where you're coming from. You can't please everybody. 😀 But a basic pixelated image on an LCD looks so flat and lifeless and fake to me... if it turns out no-one builds an up-to-date DOSBox with shader support, I might continue using a stable(r) Daum build or even learn to compile myself.

So, what are the goals and limits of ECE?

My YouTube account, with miscellanous DOS game stuff: http://www.youtube.com/user/LaukkuTheGreit

Reply 215 of 294, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
collector wrote:

I would really hate to see this become another everything-including-the-kitchen-sink build.

Agreed.

Laukku wrote:

B-b-but I wanna have the CRT shader too! 😢

I think making DOSBox "pretty" hasn't the same importance as fixing/patching buggy/incomplete emulation or including missing features.
Isn't the shaders require Direct3D support first?

my important / useful posts are here

Reply 217 of 294, by willow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Yesterplay80 wrote:

FYI: DOSBox ECE now contains the MT32 emu, so for better MIDI playback with games supporting it, please redownload it again!

Thanks for your dosbox ECE.
One question.
Why dosbox.conf file is not here like in dosbox 0.74 or dosbox daum version? I don't know what are the option that I can use and customise in this version custom of dosbox.

Reply 218 of 294, by Ant_222

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
willow wrote:

Why dosbox.conf file is not here like in dosbox 0.74 or dosbox daum version? I don't know what are the option that I can use and customise in this version custom of dosbox.

Launch DOSBox and execute:

config -wc

This will create a new config file and tell you where it is located.

Reply 219 of 294, by Yesterplay80

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Laukku wrote:

So, what are the goals and limits of ECE?

There goal is to make DOSBox better, the limit is me, since I don't know anything about coding in C++ I can only continue to combine these patches I consider the most useful for this goal.

I'm not planning to make ECE another everything-including-the-kitchen-sink build, in fact I don't think that I'll add many more patches. As I said, I'm no developer and the more patches I add, the more difficult it gets to make sure they all play nice together. And configuring DOSBox doesn't get easier as well, so convenience would suffer more and more the more patches I'd add. I also think the current state contains some of the best and useful features DOSBox can have, so for the moment I'll leave it that way. I'm even thinking of dropping the FLAC patch, because it causes problems with some games if you don't use a FLAC CD image (That's why it has it's own build).

Ant_222 wrote:

Thanks for your work, Yesterplay80. Should you prefer that I notify you of updates in my patch in this thread? If so, then alpha 12 is out.

Thanks, but I'm checking the forums rather frequently, I'll see when you release a new version.