VOGONS

First post, by eobet

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This applies to enhanced mode only, with XMS/EMS off and I get the message in both 0.63 and CVS on both 3.1 and 3.11.

I searched the forum, but nobody mentions this at all. Do I need to dig up my MS-DOS discs and install that as well? (Then I'd need to search the forums on how to properly do that also, I guess.)

Btw, I'm trying to get Battle Isle 3 (2220) working under Windows 3.1 in DOSBox, as I can't get it to work in XP.

Reply 1 of 11, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
eobet wrote:

Btw, I'm trying to get Battle Isle 3 (2220) working under Windows 3.1 in DOSBox, as I can't get it to work in XP.

Open a separate thread, in the proper section, then.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 2 of 11, by eobet

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry, but getting Windows to work takes precedence over the game and that is why I made this thread.

I suspect that the thing I'm doing wrong is very basic, though, since nobody else have reported this.

Reply 3 of 11, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

which version of windows do you have (seriously) is it some weird language ?
as dosbox cvs has been tested with 3.0 3.1 3.11vwf english though
probably the german versions have been tested as well

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 5 of 11, by eobet

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Arg, I found out what the problem was!

As I said, it was something very basic: I had turned off the Soundblaster emulation (and also the GUS) in the config file. Turning it back on made Windows boot normally.

I also installed the S3 drivers now to get 256 color graphics (16-bit doesn't work, I assume?), though I still have to find Soundblaster drivers...

However, Battle Isle gave me an "error 21", whatever that is. Guess I'll wait for a few more versions of DOSBox, then try again.

Reply 6 of 11, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah, error 21 is a known issue with Windows 3.x and DosBox. No solution as of yet, unless you want to use Qemu,VPC,Vmware.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 10 of 11, by eobet

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I found SB16 drivers on www.soundblaster.com but not Soundblaster Pro 2 (which is what I used to have). Windows 3.x only includes Soundblaster 1.0 and 1.5 drivers, I think.

Anyway, what is "Error 21"? I tried to search the forum, but couldn't find any information about it?