VOGONS

First post, by BigGammer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I am new to this sort of thing, so I'll do my best!

First off, I would like to say that DOSBox rocks!!! Remember the game Dark Ages, anyone? Well, ever since I made any attempts at playing it on even my old 386, I would either get a Devide by zero error message or a currupted screen or worse. But now with DOSBox installed, I'm very pleased to say that I am now able to run this game as well as many of my other all-time favorites in their full glory. Again, DOSBox rocks!!!

I was just wondering though, I was thinking if it would be possible to implement a feature that would enable a user to disable certain hardware emulation while leaving the rest enabled, and all of this not only from .CONF files, but from the command line as well. I believe that in doing so, games such as Terminal Velocity may run at a much faster rate as certain hardware that's not needed won't get emulated at all.

I would also like to see the emulation of the CONFIG.SYS file as well. More spacifically, the FILES=, BUFFERS=, and the FCBS= commands. In doing so, I beleive that further support for DOS-based programs and games such as Star Trek TNG - A Final Unity would be grater (especially for those running DOSBox on WinXP-based systems).

It would seem that certain games (such as the one mentioned above) requires FILES= to be at least 40 in the CONFIG.SYS file (even in DOSBox), and because Microsoft removed support for that file (as well as most of DOS) in WinXP, I am currently unable to install them. But if the CONFIG.SYS file is emulated, all of these "Not enouph file handles" errors may or may not even exist. 😁 😁 😁

Reply 1 of 2, by ykhwong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hardware emulation is important because many dos games depend on an emulated computer that DOSBox creates.
It can be a good idea to implement QEMU into DOSBox (QEMU doesn't emulate CPU), but it is difficult.
There's no DOS in WinXP. (It just has NTVDM to emulate DOS environment)
You can load device driver on command line by executing device loader utility.
I heard that DOSBox already set FILES=100 as default.

Reply 2 of 2, by Zorbid

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The possiblity to alter the configuration by using the command line is already in CVS.

AFAIK, disabling hardware won't speed up DOSBox that much, though, because emulated peiferals only eat CPU cycles when they are actually used by the program.

The files handles problem is fixed in CVS as well.