VOGONS

DOSBox Icon

Topic actions

Reply 280 of 333, by emendelson

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here's an icon that I've been using in a custom build. It's based on this icon by
Jojo Mendoza (released under a Creative Commons License):

Command%20Prompt.png

I've put together a Windows .ico file and dosbox_logo.h file that can be used in a custom DOSBox build; the .ico and .h file are in this zip file:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/271144/DosBox-CPrompt-icon.zip

I learned how to create the dosbo_logo.h file from messages by @ykhwong and others in another thread in this forum:

Re: Create dosbox_logo.h from icon file?

Reply 281 of 333, by ykhwong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
emendelson wrote:
@ykhwong - Here's a Z: icon with a sharper edge. It more closely matches your logo file. I hope it may be useful! […]
Show full quote
ykhwong wrote:

Your icon is not that bad but isn't it too round at the edge? I prefer relatively sharper one.

@ykhwong - Here's a Z: icon with a sharper edge. It more closely matches your logo file. I hope it may be useful!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/271144/Dosbox-Z-revised.ico

And here's an image. The gray background is not part of the icon:

dosbox-z-revised-image.jpg

It looks much better. I'd really love it. 😀

Reply 282 of 333, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Posting some stuff here, since there hasnt been a lot of icon-making activity in this thread lately (although bobdevis' icons from the last page were quite good looking)

Was messing around with the 5.25" floppy idea. Unoriginal, but I tried to make them look at least halfway "authentic" and I dare say they came out quite well in the large sizes.
Three zips attached - one with PNGs, one with icon files of up to 48x48 (for XP), and one with icon files of up to 256x256 (these should work on newer Windows systems - feel free to let me know if they really do, because I don't have one of those)

The ICOs have 16x16 and 24x24 as well, but those just look like crap, they're only there for compatibility.

Feel free to use and enjoy

woQR9.png

Attachments

• Filename
    ICO-dosbox-5.25''-floppy-(256-max).zip
    File size
    402.81 KiB
    Downloads
    1696 downloads
    File comment
    .ICO with all sizes from 16x16 to 256x256 (will not work in XP)
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    ICO-dosbox-5.25''-floppy-XP-(48-max).zip
    File size
    40.68 KiB
    Downloads
    1299 downloads
    File comment
    .ICO with sizes from 16x16 to 48x48 - for XP
    File license
  • Filename
    PNGS-dosbox-5.25''-floppy.zip
    File size
    352.98 KiB
    Downloads
    1470 downloads
    File comment
    .PNG - all sizes from 32 to 256
    File license

Reply 283 of 333, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've updated the XP pack to have sizes up to 128x128, since apparently there are ways to get XP to display that size (and even if you don't, the icon file is still XP-readable - 256x256 makes XP flip out).

Attachments

Reply 285 of 333, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Another version - now also available in a good old paper jacket.

All .ico/.png files available in the zip. Use only felt tip pen.

cGhEQ.png

Attachments

Reply 286 of 333, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

as usual... I *like* 😀
the papersleeve one especially

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 287 of 333, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

thanks for the comments (all two of you) 😉

now here's a tribute to ancient monochrome machines... in three versions - amber, green, AND grey, for maximum retina-burning goodness.
Used original MDA/Hercules font (complete with aspect correction because I'm anal like that).

All .PNG / .ICO files included in the attachment.

YyoSd.png

Attachments

Reply 288 of 333, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Whenever I pass this club in Vienna I have to think of Dosbox 😀

Attachments

• Filename
    IMG_0425.JPG
    File size
    2.19 MiB
    Downloads
    794 downloads
    File license

Reply 289 of 333, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

and now for the obligatory CGA version. one for each palette (even the ugly ones)! all ICO/PNGs in the attachment below.

ahh, nice thick scanlines and phosphor dots... they don't make 'em like this anymore.

iHUKN.jpg

Attachments

• Filename
    dosbox-cga-icons.zip
    File size
    2.37 MiB
    Downloads
    1436 downloads
    File license

Reply 290 of 333, by dada

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
VileRancour wrote:

Another version - now also available in a good old paper jacket.

I must say, the sleeved 5.25" floppies look spectacular. 😀 Nice work.

Maybe you should make a version that has strikethrough text "start-up floppy" then underneath that strikethrough "mouse driver" and underneath that "DOSbox" 😜 That would be more realistic.

edit: CGA monitor ones might benefit from an actual beige plastic monitor frame around them, and the screen in 4:3

Reply 291 of 333, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

yeah, that was my first idea actually, to try representing an actual IBM CGA monitor, but this has already been done a few pages back in this thread 😉
I just wanted to emphasize the text really - a rectangular screen (surrounded by an even more elongated monitor frame) would be too small when squeezed into the square field of an icon.

Reply 292 of 333, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

VileRancour, these icons are fantastic. Totally professional.

What programs to you use to make these?

These CGA icons would make an awesome DOSBox startup / splash screen!

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 293 of 333, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks!
The graphics are 100% photoshop (all of adobe's stuff is full of bloat and buggy as hell, but still can't be matched for features)... to create the icon files I use IcoFX Portable.

Reply 296 of 333, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

OK, i've just gone completely off the deep end and decided to tackle the complete package...

This is probably way too complex (icons are supposed to be "simple"), but hell, the image of a PC/XT should already be "iconic" enough by its own right. Based on a photo I found on the web.

just think of this as the antithesis to all those "my computer" icons floating around, featuring the latest flashy systems 😉
This was still done in the same trendy vectorized "Apple" style though... guess that's the irony of it.

Ij3L4.png

Attachments

• Filename
    dosbox-pc-xt.zip
    File size
    236.78 KiB
    Downloads
    1475 downloads
    File license

Reply 297 of 333, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

cool, but the screen should show
Z>
😀

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 298 of 333, by dada

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Looks absolutely fantastic 😀 I agree with your assessment, though; it's just slightly too complex to be a great icon, in part because of its angle. I think it might be a neat idea to remake the monitor only to face the camera directly, that would give the icon a nice frame (since I think the CGA DOSBOX icons are a bit too explicit) and still be simple enough to be instantly recognizable even at small sizes.

Reply 299 of 333, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

the only problem with a "monitor only" icon is that the monitor itself (frame included) has a roughly 7:5 aspect ratio, and occupies too little vertical space within the square icon field... so it instantly loses impact when placed alongside every other icon on the desktop/dock/whatever, that's why I personally dislike such icons.

Although perhaps this could work with the case underneath the monitor, both facing the viewer - no keyboard (that would also cut down on 70% of the detail work) ;) might try something like that later.

as for what the text should be, I've seen so many examples in this thread - "A>", ">_", "C:/" (?), "D:", "Z:", "DosBox", each has its pros and cons when it comes to being "iconic"... maybe I'll go with "Z:" even though it's not period-authentic (lol), since it's the only thing that more or less uniquely represents DosBox without actually spelling out the name and being too long.