VOGONS

DOSBox Icon

Topic actions

Reply 300 of 333, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My own humble little contribution 😀 32x32, 16-colors (Windows 16-color palette), white is transparent in the actual icon included in the ZIP file.

Also, a little joke animated GIF... I was simply dying to post this somewhere 🤣! 😀

Attachments

• DR_DOS.gif
    Filename
    DR_DOS.gif
    File size
    2.05 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    DOSBox_Icon.zip
    File size
    816 Bytes
    Downloads
    1236 downloads
    File license
  • DOSBox_Icon.gif
    Filename
    DOSBox_Icon.gif
    File size
    265 Bytes
    Views
    File license

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel
http://www.richnagel.net

Reply 302 of 333, by SieBoi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Soooo... Am i late for the competition :pppp

Regardless of how late i am (which is 14 years :p) i made these just for fun, so if you wanna try something different instead of default these might be an option.
Though as you can easily see i am no expert at logo making nor pixel art and i actually share this more for an actual professional to see and make better version than mine, so it could be useable.

I entirely make it in paint and its not an .ico file however if you want to use one of it i could fix it and make it into an .ico (though i don't really remember how we did that :p)

Here are the boys:
AjLNoIc.png

PSeky6S.png

WIoPtkO.png

Alternative colors (using modern windows'es 16 base colors)
bmFozJa.png

And this is the workspace :p
9bZtCbm.png

Also at the bottom parts of the workspace you can see there is a section with a light blue color, that idea was cool however i am not talented enough to do that but it would be lovely.
Have fun!

Reply 303 of 333, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's not a bad idea - here's a slightly more "authentic" version - top is original icon I remade (without the dithering) and below the DOSBOX version

dEbImqC.png

Retro game fanatic.
IBM PS1 386SX25 - 4MB
IBM Aptiva 486SX33 - 8MB - 2GB CF - SB16
IBM PC350 P233MMX - 64MB - 32GB SSD - AWE64 - Voodoo2
PIII600 - 320MB - 480GB SSD - SB Live! - GF4 Ti 4200
i5-2500k - 3GB - SB Audigy 2 - HD 4870

Reply 304 of 333, by SieBoi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
red_avatar wrote:
It's not a bad idea - here's a slightly more "authentic" version - top is original icon I remade (without the dithering) and bel […]
Show full quote

It's not a bad idea - here's a slightly more "authentic" version - top is original icon I remade (without the dithering) and below the DOSBOX version

dEbImqC.png

Can you also do more "authentic" version of this one :p? I really like this one however i am no pro at pixel art.. in fact i am no pro at any form of digital art :p So id be extremely glad if someone else who knows what they are doing touches it.
fvk4bLB.png

Reply 305 of 333, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SieBoi wrote:
Can you also do more "authentic" version of this one :p? I really like this one however i am no pro at pixel art.. in fact i am […]
Show full quote
red_avatar wrote:
It's not a bad idea - here's a slightly more "authentic" version - top is original icon I remade (without the dithering) and bel […]
Show full quote

dEbImqC.png

Can you also do more "authentic" version of this one :p? I really like this one however i am no pro at pixel art.. in fact i am no pro at any form of digital art :p So id be extremely glad if someone else who knows what they are doing touches it.
fvk4bLB.png

I looked at that one as well but the DOS design works because the letters loops around eachother. An X can't possible loop and the B has a much smaller hole. The easiest way to fix it, is to just not loop and have the letters B and X overlap the O in the middle. I could try and see if it looks authentic enough like that.

Retro game fanatic.
IBM PS1 386SX25 - 4MB

Reply 306 of 333, by SieBoi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
red_avatar wrote:
SieBoi wrote:
Can you also do more "authentic" version of this one :p? I really like this one however i am no pro at pixel art.. in fact i am […]
Show full quote
red_avatar wrote:
Show full quote

dEbImqC.png

fvk4bLB.png

I looked at that one as well but the DOS design works because the letters loops around eachother. An X can't possible loop and the B has a much smaller hole. The easiest way to fix it, is to just not loop and have the letters B and X overlap the O in the middle. I could try and see if it looks authentic enough like that.

Well i struggled with B too but cant X do this around O? But yeah, why not i would love to see the non looping version as well.
TAsRLGP.png

Reply 307 of 333, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well you got to respect the distance of the letters - by pushing the X so into the O, the distance with the B would look wrong. Even spacing of the center of the letters is important for balance. I'll see if I can make a good looking logo next week.

Retro game fanatic.
IBM PS1 386SX25 - 4MB

Reply 308 of 333, by SieBoi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
red_avatar wrote:

Well you got to respect the distance of the letters - by pushing the X so into the O, the distance with the B would look wrong. Even spacing of the center of the letters is important for balance. I'll see if I can make a good looking logo next week.

Thank you very much, i'll be waiting.

edit: just came to my mind but, how about stretching O a little bit?

Reply 309 of 333, by Robo4900

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Surely, if you want to do an edit of the old MS-DOS logo, it should be something like this...

jOzYZK5.png

oWFLNDo.png

Inspired by the current logo, it's got the crossing of B and X above and below the O of DOS, but I slightly offset them.
I think it needs work -- the weird sizing and offset do look kinda ugly, and arguably it's a bit busy -- but... Thought you might enjoy the concept. 😀

Here it is without the offset:

edgIf0n.png

0GMveSG.png

... Does anyone else see this as reading as "DOGBOX"? 🤣

Reply 310 of 333, by SieBoi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Robo4900 wrote:
Surely, if you want to do an edit of the old MS-DOS logo, it should be something like this... […]
Show full quote

Surely, if you want to do an edit of the old MS-DOS logo, it should be something like this...

jOzYZK5.png

oWFLNDo.png

Inspired by the current logo, it's got the crossing of B and X above and below the O of DOS, but I slightly offset them.
I think it needs work -- the weird sizing and offset do look kinda ugly, and arguably it's a bit busy -- but... Thought you might enjoy the concept. 😀

Here it is without the offset:

edgIf0n.png

0GMveSG.png

... Does anyone else see this as reading as "DOGBOX"? 🤣

I also see the dogbox tbh :p especially on the little versions. I think the reason of that is the O got a bit too squished so S gots a little weird and gets readen as G.
You may also try what eobet did back in 2005 with the ms dos logo pixelated aesthetic instead of making the B and X gray and small.

as a reference: zwYmhoG.png
(ofc this would make a terrible logo as how it is right now but if you could find a way around this it might be cool)
(also you may want to squish X and B to O somehow or seperate D O S somehow to make the logo square again :p)

Reply 313 of 333, by Robo4900

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I think the point is that my mockup was a bad idea, and eobet's is also somewhat questionable.

To be honest, I'm not overly pleased with my result... Clumsy sounds like a good descriptor.

Eobet's is, I would say, a lot closer to the kind of thing this idea would have to resemble, but I'm not sure this really is a direction worth going. I don't think you could get it down small enough while still looking both good, and recognisably similar to the old MS-DOS logo.
Could try keeping the colour scheme of the DOS letters if you want to go for a variation on the cross design as used in the current icon that tries to have a general look/feel more similar to the old MS-DOS logo, but keeping them intertwined and at full size isn't going to work.

Though I must say, I am growing on this one. If a more MS-DOS logo-esque one was wanted, this is probably the way to do it.
bmFozJa.png
Having said that, I'm not a big fan of the dithering in the purple, if I'm totally honest; the one red_avatar put up at a larger size is undithered, and looks nicer for it, if you ask me. 😀
The one you use as your avatar is nice, since it's stacked like the old MS-DOS logo, but I don't think BOX intertwines as well as DOS does, so this is probably the best way for that approach.

Reply 314 of 333, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I used the floppy disk icon from pages ago to create a shortcut to launch. Pretty neat.

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 315 of 333, by Gernot66

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok everyone like his own icon(s) most

I use a template icon to create icons for the dos games i run like this

dos2.png
Filename
dos2.png
File size
1.36 KiB
Views
File license

It's a plain shell looking icon in which you can type...

dos1.png
Filename
dos1.png
File size
1.99 KiB
Views
File license

or

dosbox.png
Filename
dosbox.png
File size
1.95 KiB
Views
File license

and add a miniaturized screenshot or box image to it...

dosgame.png
Filename
dosgame.png
File size
31.25 KiB
Views
File license
poc_dos.png
Filename
poc_dos.png
File size
20.23 KiB
Views
File license

the same template i use also for "amiga" "sdl" or some other i run in an emulator

this gives the dos games a uniform look nonetheless it will show the game the shortcut will start

maintainer of "Phoenix" (Pioneer Space Sim derivate)
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/phoenix … erivate.506984/

Reply 316 of 333, by Gernot66

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

the icons are pretty large 256x256 ment for high resolutions we have today and the possibility to have nice large icons (i like).

further i use this template for the manuals (all games not only dos)

book.png
Filename
book.png
File size
99.67 KiB
Views
File license

and this to run game specific tools or lauch setup programs

arbeitsmappe.png
Filename
arbeitsmappe.png
File size
79.05 KiB
Views
File license

on both is space enough for the miniaturized picture for the game it is ment for

could look like this

siedler_help.png
Filename
siedler_help.png
File size
89.79 KiB
Views
File license

like it?

i will attach with my next post a zip containing the work i've already done covering some dos games i play (or haven't played yet)
plus the templates i use in GIMP as .XCF, they include auxiliary lines to hep you positioning and deforming the images on the template.

2019-04-21_210226.jpg
Filename
2019-04-21_210226.jpg
File size
454.88 KiB
Views
File license

Please follow this thread here:
Pimp my DOS game

maintainer of "Phoenix" (Pioneer Space Sim derivate)
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/phoenix … erivate.506984/

Reply 317 of 333, by gurok

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
red_avatar wrote on 2019-01-30, 14:22:
Show full quote

dEbImqC.png

To me, this is the closest, but the letterforms aren't quite right. It's clearly bold MS Sans Serif in the original. Here's what I came up with:

H0wevHX.png

And here's a version with the letters squeezed up more so they fit under DOS:

s4StIGc.png

Reply 318 of 333, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That looks good but the O looks off-center. Try to reduce the B one pixel in width and push the O one pixel to t he left so the X has more room to breathe.

Retro game fanatic.
IBM PS1 386SX25 - 4MB

Reply 319 of 333, by eobet

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, it's been over 10 years since my last login, and holy smokes, almost 15 years since I last posted in this thread (and look, the amount of hair in my old avatar came true)!

I needed to convert my files (again) to a new software suite I'm using, so since I "lost" to ChaosFish and his layout, I thought I'd flip my layout and tweak it to be a bit more obvious to where my inspiration was from:

slice1.png
Filename
slice1.png
File size
46.3 KiB
Views
File license

So, reflecting upon this after all this time, I realize that making a SNES inspired icon for Dosbox might not have been a perfect fit, but to me, Dosbox (and GOG) finally made DOS gaming as easy as console gaming, and I still like that reasoning I must admit. 😀

Let's see if this works, and if it takes another 10 years or so for me to post again...

Attachments

• Filename
    DOSBox2014b.zip
    File size
    47.59 KiB
    Downloads
    175 downloads
    File comment
    compressed .ico file
    File license