VOGONS

Config.sys

Topic actions

First post, by Stainless

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I started out with dos. I notice there is no config.sys to modify for DosBox. Like Buffer=40 and Files=40 DOS=HIGH,UMB etc.. I'm trying to set up a Fossil driver for a game I'm trying to play on my BBS its a doorgame terminal program that I use through Qmodem under dosbox. Reason: Can't do it anyother way. Anyway this particular fossil driver needs me to install a DEVICE=C:\BNU.SYS file with command line parameters and I cannot do this. Is something like this in the works or has someone incorporated a config.sys to use with DOSBOX? If so please message me. Thanks guys keep up the good work.

Come to Rat's Nest BBS 😉 Telnet to ratsnest.synchro.net. Lots of door games to play.

Reply 1 of 10, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

look at the page of ykhwong. (see cvs builds.)
he has a deviceloader that works under dosbox.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 2 of 10, by Stainless

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have Kwong's latest release. No instructions though. No offense if I mispelled your name.

Come to Rat's Nest BBS 😉 Telnet to ratsnest.synchro.net. Lots of door games to play.

Reply 6 of 10, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

BNU is way old.

Some FOSSIL driver links:
http://www.sysopworld.com/bbsfaq/ch06.09.htm
http://www.juge.com/bbs/Dos.1.Html

I think I used ADF for a while but switched to WinFOSSIL as it was much faster (but of course it won't run under DOSBox).

Reply 7 of 10, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

@hunterZ: about the old part....

why would old be a problem ?
It's a fossil driver. If it works then it works.

Dosbox emulates an old system as well....

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 8 of 10, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

In my experience, the older fossil drivers have:
- slower performance (maybe not a big deal when doing BBSing over TCP/IP on a modern PC, but it was a huge difference on a 486 under Win95 and a 28.8kbps modem)
- more compatability issues with BBS and door game software, as well as with the host OS and hardware
- more general bugs and quirks
- fewer features

An example of fossil driver quirks: I remember I had to write a utility in C that called WinFOSSIL's interrupt to tell it to release control of the com port because for some reason it couldn't tell when door games exited - which meant that the BBS couldn't regain control of the modem and thus effectively froze the user session.

Reply 9 of 10, by Stainless

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well I read the manual and the Transmit and receive buffers can be modified. Which I kicked Transmit up to 2k and Receive to 4k. Better than what it was set up for in the first place. If its slower, all the better I keep getting full buffer errors anyway. May-be I should but it back to default Transmit and Receive settings. Then may-be I will not get buffer full errors. ;-P Just gonna use it on this one doorgame terminal program I'm using through Qmodem(DOS) under DOSBOX. Just waiting for a reply from Wkong as to how to set up the Deviceloader in his CVS.
Thanks for the replies folks.

Reply 10 of 10, by ykhwong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Qbix was telling me that you have incorporated a Deviceloader to your Latest CVS? Could you explain to me how I can modify such a file? Thank you in advance.

I didn't implement device loader feature to my latest cvs.
You can find Device loader in data section on my page.
If you want 'device.sys', type 'load.com device.sys'. then it will load device.sys. (that is a usage)