VOGONS

First post, by 1gnorance

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Though on the CD it doesnt say whether or not it was for windows or DOS im assuming it was meant for DOS since the installation prompt was dos-based.

I ran the installation without DOSBOX and it successfully installed the files to the KQ6 folder. After running into the same problem i will disclose next, i tried installing it again through dosbox with no changes. No effect.

In the folder were various .SRC files and only one exe called SCIVW.EXE
im not sure whether or not its the actual game because i cannot get it to run.
When running the EXE file without dosbox, nothing happens. When ran through dosbox i get "This program requires microsoft windows." im assuming the .EXE is the game because its the only file of its kind. So now i'm clueless as to what to do next and i really want to play this game.

Help?

Reply 1 of 9, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

KQ6 CD exists in two versions. There's a DOS version and a Windows version. They're both on the same CD. The Windows install program installs the Windows version and the DOS installs the DOS version (who would've guessed?).

Most notably, the Windows version has higher resolution images for the portraits of characters talking.

To run the game in DOSBox, install from inside DOSBox using the DOS installer (called either INSTALL.EXE or INSTALL6.EXE, IIRC), otherwise, run the Windows install (SETUP.EXE, again IIRC).

The DOS version runs by starting SIERRA.EXE.

Reply 2 of 9, by 1gnorance

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Whenever running SETUP.exe it lets me edit the configuration for the sound, video, and voice settings. When i try to save it i get "error saving configuration file!"

Also, running through DOSBOX Sierra.exe tells me "Couldn't install video driver! Script # 0, IP: 0"

setup.exe gives me "This program requires microsoft windows."

Reply 3 of 9, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

1gnorance - unless you REALLY know what you are doing (or told so by an experienced member), DO NOT mix and match installations and configurations done from inside DOSBox and from Windows. It will rarely work.

Listen to Kippesoep, and follow the 60-seconds guide.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 4 of 9, by 1gnorance

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

For DOS, I tried unchecking read-only from INSTALL.EXE to try and let it create/modifty its configuration files, But i still get the error "Error creating configuration file!" perhaps im doing something wrong here?

For Windows installation, i ran Setup.EXE after checking off "Run Windows 95 compatability mode." During the installation it said something about the game requiring 256 colors, so i checked "run in 256 colors." When starting the game, it looks as if though it is about to start, maximizes, but then nothing happens. I think im pretty close so any further help is much appreciated.

Reply 5 of 9, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've spelled it out for you. Below is one large screenshot of the installation process, since the forum only allows 5 attachments.

What I did:

• Start DOSBox
  • Mount chosen directory as drive C
  • Mount CD-ROM drive as drive D
  • switch to D and start the install program (on the regular KQ6 CD, this will be INSTALL.EXE, on the KQ Collector's Edition, this will be INSTALL6.EXE)
  • The installation program starts. Press enter here.
  • Then, it asks about where to install it. There is only one choice, so press enter here.
  • The configuration menu pops up. Everything is okay for me, so I select "Accept these choices and begin installation".
    (You may want to select another music card first if you haven't got a real Roland MT-32 or similar).
  • A message about the MT-32, if it is selected. Just press enter.
  • A message about extended/expanded memory. Just press enter.
  • The install program wants to know whether to do a large or small install. I picked small, but it really doesn't matter.
  • After copying is done, a message pops up with instructions.
  • Follow them

After this the game started just fine. No error messages or anything. It's not rocket science.

Attachments

• Filename
    KQ6 Install.png
    File size
    41.91 KiB
    Downloads
    149 downloads
    File comment
    9 screenshots of the installation procedure.
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 6 of 9, by 1gnorance

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for your help. However i cannot follow the steps completely due to a difference in choices on INSTALL.EXE. I can save configuration, but i cannot being installation. Thats when i get the Error. I have attached an image.

Attachments

• Filename
    dos.PNG
    File size
    113.05 KiB
    Downloads
    126 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 7 of 9, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Are you sure you have an original version? This should only happen when the game is already installed (ie you're running INSTALL from the C drive or if a configured RESOURCE.CFG already exists on the CD -- which may happen if you don't have an original copy).

My site: Ramblings on mostly tech stuff.

Reply 8 of 9, by 1gnorance

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes sir i sure do. I got the game to run on my old computers when i was little. And i think you are right. The game may be installed. I deleted the folder (Is that the correct way to unistall it?) but before i did that i ran the "installed" EXE file through dosbox and was told "Couldn't install video driver! Script # 0, IP: 0"

However, if i cannot get it to work through DOSBOX could you perhaps help me run the windows version? Once installed i right clicked the executable, Check run in Windows 95 compatable, and run in 256 colors. The game appears to start, it maximizes, then nothing seems to happen.

Reply 9 of 9, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You should delete the SIERRA\KQ6CD folder before the install, of course. This goes for both the DOS and Windows installs.

AFAIK, the Windows version of KQ6 doesn't work in XP, unless you use VDMSound. Check out one of the oldest topics on this board: Problem with XP + King's Quest 6.