VOGONS

First post, by mirrorshades

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Have been playing Panzer General (DOS version) and am running across the following quirky behaviors in DOSBox:

- No screen display in 0.70 -- works fine in 0.65 and other/CVS builds (may be an SVGA setting?)

- Game plays okay in windowed mode, but when I <Alt><Enter> for fullscreen, it lags every couple seconds. Makes it difficult to move the mouse with any degree of accuracy!

- Mouse right-click doesn't work. This is a problem when I get into the unit information screen, and the only way to exit is by right-click. This is probably the most severe problem, since all I can do at this point is click through each unit or exit DOSBox. (I.e. the game becomes unplayable.)

I have tried the usual troubleshooting steps for each of these (i.e. tinkering with the dosbox.conf settings) and can't quite get rid of them. Anyone have any insight into what the problem might be?

Reply 1 of 11, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

hmm weird. what do you mean with no screen display ? (as you indicate that you get gameplay in the other points)

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 2 of 11, by mirrorshades

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

When I use 0.70, the screen just stays dark and I can't do anything (in both windowed and full-screen mode). Using any other version shows a normal display, but has the other problems mentioned above (the lag and missing right-click).

I tried running PG using the same configuration on an older, slower laptop last night and it worked perfectly well... so whatever is causing the problem must be isolated to this particular PC.

EDIT: For clarity, the "perfectly well" applies to DOSBox 0.65. 0.70 did not display anything in the new computer, either.

Last edited by mirrorshades on 2007-03-21, 18:56. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 11, by mirrorshades

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, I've tried it again on the original PC, and the mysterious lag and absent right-click seem to have gone away now.

Still remaining is the lack of any sort of display when running 0.70.

Reply 4 of 11, by tbtkorg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I would like to confirm the report. On my laptop, Panzer General gives audio but no video on DOSbox 0.70. Panzer General is the only DOS game I still own, so I do not know whether the problem relates to the game or to my hardware. Nevertheless, my laptop has Intel's 945GM chipset, GMA 950 integrated graphics and Core Duo processor (not Core 2 Duo, but rather the 32-bit Core Duo, otherwise known as the "Yonah" Pentium M). The operating system is Windows XP.

This reply requests no specific action, nor am I in a position to hunt down and fix the bug myself. The reply is just to confirm the report.

Reply 6 of 11, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

the combination with the univbe seems to be broken
works in 14 jan
broken on 27 jan
Lot's of changes though in that time.

Reply 7 of 11, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

seems to be related to
the pel_mask
if you change line 57 in vga_dac.cpp to read without "the &" then it works (pel_mask gets zero when the game is started and univbe is loaded. (on mode change probably)
The problem might lay in the case around line 112 (maybe the M_LIN8 should go away or be taken in account)

edit
Commited a fix (resetting the pelmask on a new video mode)

Reply 9 of 11, by willgamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I can also confirm the blank screen problem as described above.

I don't understand about the fix however. Is there something I can tweak? Will the fix have to wait for the next version of dosbox?