VOGONS

First post, by Ihmemies

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

When I try to install GTA from cd to default C:\GTA dir, installer says "error: couldn't change dir" and quits back to prompt. It doesn't copy any files or create any folders.

In autoexec I mount my drives like this:

mount c d:\games\dos
mount d e:\ -t cdrom -usecd 0

Also console gives "SHELL:Redirect output to nul" message a few times when installer refuses to work.

I'm using dosbox 0.7. Any ideas? 🙁 Installers have worked before, like Settlers 2, Archimedean Dynasty etc.

Reply 1 of 3, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You can always download ykhwong's debug-enabled build, which may tell you what directory the installer is trying to access. Are you running DOSBox as a user that has read-write access to that directory?

(Also, you are probably aware that Rockstar provides a free, Windows-friendly download of GTA1 from their website, right? It's a hefty download, but if I am not mistaken it lacks nothing.)

Reply 2 of 3, by Ihmemies

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'll try the debug build and look what it says. I just copypasted the data from cd to hd, so it's not a problem, but I was wondering why the installer doesn't work 😀

I'm running dosbox on normal vista account. I suppose I have r/w privileges since I can copypaste, move, etc files from dosbox.

Reply 3 of 3, by elwis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I had same thing. Try to install with windows installer

-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 3.1
GIT d- s: a--- C++ P L++ E--- W+ N o-- K- w--- PS+
PE-- PGP- t X R+ tv- b+ DI- D+ G++ e-- h! r y+
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------