VOGONS

First post, by Bashe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

There's one thing that confuses me about DOSbox, and that's its ability to play certain games much better than others.

For example, Doom and its brethren (Heretic, etc.) and BUILD engine games run great, as does Quake. But it seems like much, much simpler games like Blake Stone seem to have trouble running at full framerate, regardless of what the cycles and frameskip are set to. Auto cycles doesn't really help either, as it's still rather clunky. This really only goes for Blake Stone and some other graphics-heavy Wolf3D mods. So as it stands, I just use VDMsound for those oddball games.

What else could be done?

All the prayers in the world can't help you now...because I just farted

Reply 1 of 5, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

replace the dos4gw.exe with a dos32a.exe?

AMD Ryzen 3700X | ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII (WiFi) | 16GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti 8GB | Windows 10 Pro x64.

my website

Reply 2 of 5, by Bashe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, it doesn't have an external dos4gw.exe, and I'm having a hard time following the instructions givein on the DOSbox site somewhere, as it seems like my setup is so different.

Reply 3 of 5, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Wolf3d engines don't use a protected mode so the auto core/cycles don't kick in. You could make a little .bat to start it up with the following commands

core dynamic
cycles 17000
wolf3d
core auto
cycles auto

To play the game with acceptable framerate.

And remember newbies, CTRL-F12 is your friend.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 4 of 5, by Bashe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Old thread, yeah, but I realized something recently.

I tried using Dynamic core with the games that suffer from slowdown, and it works great! The problem is, in the menus of these games, e.g. Blake Stone, Wolf3D, it has a tendency to freeze whenever I move the cursor at all. So I basically either have to start the game directly from the command line or accept all default options without moving the arrows. Is this normal? It's a real shame, since the games work MUCH better in Dynamic core.

Reply 5 of 5, by VisitntX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Wolf3D and Blake runs fine for me in dynamic without problems. But W3D runs pretty much smooth in normal than dynamic and at full speed. Dynamic is faster than hell that normal but to play games like wolf or blake normal works great and really smooth.