VOGONS

First post, by flightjunkie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I installed the game on my modern computer via dosbox. All sounds seem to be working properly, except the sound of my own helicopter. The sound is the startup sound of the helicopter, but it gets stuck on the startup sound and it never progresses to the characteristic sound of the Apache. So I fly around, with my helicopter making a patpatpatpat sound.

Last edited by flightjunkie on 2022-04-18, 11:07. Edited 2 times in total.

The Salvaged parts Rig that cost me nothing.
-QDI advanced 10t
-Pentium III 1000mhz
-3dfx VooDoo3 2000
-SoundBlaster Live! 5.1 CT4830
-WD800 80gb HDD
-TwinMOS 256MB of RAM
-Windows 98 SE

Reply 1 of 9, by flightjunkie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

BTW for some reason the normal sound of the helicopter can be heard even before I start the engine. And also the game tops at 20 FPS.

-QDI advanced 10t
-Pentium III 1000mhz
-3dfx VooDoo3 2000
-WD800 80gb HDD
-TwinMOS 256MB of RAM
-Windows 98 SE

Reply 2 of 9, by flightjunkie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just a heads up. I tried it on a different computer(again in dosbox), an old Dell optiplex gx260 I got, and the sound issue persists. I suspect it might be a bug, though I do not know if there is a patch out there. Haven't found anything.

-QDI advanced 10t
-Pentium III 1000mhz
-3dfx VooDoo3 2000
-WD800 80gb HDD
-TwinMOS 256MB of RAM
-Windows 98 SE

Reply 4 of 9, by flightjunkie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oh I am planning on setting up a proper win98 system at some point. Though currently I am dealing with real life stuff and space issues. I just wanted to play me some Longbow.

-QDI advanced 10t
-Pentium III 1000mhz
-3dfx VooDoo3 2000
-WD800 80gb HDD
-TwinMOS 256MB of RAM
-Windows 98 SE

Reply 5 of 9, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh yeah but I think the pentium 4 might be ok.

But alas, it might might need a sound card and a low profile ago card if the built ins don't have decent drivers so I guess it might not be that easy to get any DOS games running on it.

Reply 6 of 9, by flightjunkie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So, let me see if I understand this correctly. Dosbox still needs a soundcard with drivers? I can try a sound blaster live, though it's too big to keep in the Dell. But I also have a SB0570.

In terms of a card, I have an FX 5200 in there(slim one, but still doesn't fit fully)

BTW, the Dell can't really handle late dos games in dosbox. It is that bad, but I was not really intending on playing on that. Just wanted to see if the issue with the sound persist.

-QDI advanced 10t
-Pentium III 1000mhz
-3dfx VooDoo3 2000
-WD800 80gb HDD
-TwinMOS 256MB of RAM
-Windows 98 SE

Reply 8 of 9, by flightjunkie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just chiming in to say that now that I tried the game in original DOS it still does the same sound bug. So, it is not an issue with DOSbox, but with the game.

-QDI advanced 10t
-Pentium III 1000mhz
-3dfx VooDoo3 2000
-WD800 80gb HDD
-TwinMOS 256MB of RAM
-Windows 98 SE

Reply 9 of 9, by Rwolf

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What version of the game are you using?
It could be you need to find a patch - searching for patches for the Janes AH-64D game indicates the latest patch was v1.08 - this was addressing some engine sound issues specifically.
The main v1.08 patches are different for different language versions too, in addition to the 'engine sound fix' and also the 'Longbow Gold' release is another thing with other patches.
GameFront.com lists the patches for both versions, but I have not tested them.
https://www.gamefront.com/search/games/jane-s … tions?q=longbow
(It was too long since I played it, so I can't recall this specific issue myself.)