VOGONS

First post, by SBDiT

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a 2.2 GHz machine running XP Pro SP2... and I have other games running under DOSBox (was using 0.65 but DLed 0.72 for this and same results) and have no problem with the sound. V For Victory and Clash of Steel being two games that come up and no problem with sound or music.

But... with Age of Rifles (Wargame Construction Set 3) no such luck.... can't get any sound under DOSBox and others on the Matrix forums have reported the same thing... and I noticed here AoR is listed as being 'fully supported'.

So... you want data <g>?

When I bring up AoR under a normal DOS Window (command prompt) and run their SOUND.EXE.... it will only let me configure to basic Soundblaster (I have a 24 bit SoundBlaster)... and the sbbase, dma and hdma all match up with the sblaster configuration defaults listed in the dosbox.conf file (the IRQ used is not listed with the AoR SOUND.EXE).

Then, when I bring AoR up under normal DOS window... the graphics are strange but.... no problem with the sound... works fine.

But then.... if I bring AoR up under DOSBox... silence.... no sound at all.

I have tried things like running SOUND.EXE while under DOSBox (will accept various sound cards as being valid but... didn't get sound with any of those configurations).... and I have tried various parameters with the DOSBox sblaster configuration... but on that I get the impression that those relate to the interface between DOSBox and my system and.... with other games working.... most likely that is not where the problem is. In other words, my guess is there is incompatibility between the AoR drivers and DOSBox, so changing the DOSBox sblaster settings... is not gonna fix the problem.

Uh.... to be honest I am not too optimistic on getting a fix here. I guess the only thing I can imagine is that there are other settings in the DOSBox configuration that might affect the sound interface between AoR and DOSBox, but I am just guessing here. Can't imagine an AoR driver replacement but... what do I know?

In any case.... just thought I'd post this one in case y'all might be able to help.

Thanks in advance for any consideration!

DiT

Reply 1 of 13, by SBDiT

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hmmm... the heading for this forum reads 'Getting old DOS games working'... but looking at the forum topics closer.... looks like it should read 'Getting old DOS games working UNDER DOS'.. and I really should have posted under DOSBox Games/App.

If this is so just say the word and I will repost to that forum.

Thanks,

DiT

Reply 2 of 13, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

*MOVED*

No need to repost.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 3 of 13, by Xelasarg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Have you tried changing GUS=true to false in dosbox.conf? IIRC this has helped in some cases.

"What's a paladin?!"

Reply 4 of 13, by SBDiT

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK, tried gus=false in the config file and... no change.

Messed around with a lot of related things... and found the SOUND.EXE was detecting my SB at IRQ 5.... was set to 7 in dosbox.conf so tried changing that to 5 (also tried 7 for dosbox.conf and in the AoR sound config file) and... no change.... games like V for Victory and Clash of Steel..... still put out sound normally (with EITHER IRQ setting) but nothing from AoR. Yeah, brought up AoR under normal DOS before testing and.... was putting out the sound in that environment no problem (but of course, extremely slow cursor and graphics shifted to right a bit off screen... and cannot go from fullscreen to window with just ALT-ENTER).

Anyways... thanks for trying! <g> I think there is an incompatibility problem here between the AoR SB drivers and DOSBox.. but found it strange that AoR was listed as 'fully supported' here on this site and thought maybe there is someone out there that knows how to get it going.

Whatever... again, thanks for the response!

DiT

Reply 5 of 13, by SBDiT

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just wanted to say here that.... I managed to resolve my own problem on this one.

Was getting sound when I brought up Age of Rifles under normal DOS, and noticed it was prompting me that the E drive was not ready.

So, I added the option:

-c "MOUNT E E:\ -t cdrom"

to my DOSBox command in the shortcut properties for this game and... it didn't prompt me for the drive not being ready but... the sound worked!

So, case closed on this one for me.

Hope my experience here might help others having a problem getting sound with their game.

SBDiT

P.S. Oh, and thanks to everyone that may have given this problem any consideration!

Reply 6 of 13, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

You probably made 4 mistakes here:

1) You didn't read my 60 seconds guide first.
2) You didn't install the game from inside DOSBox.
3) You didn't read note 2 in my guide.
4) You didn't read my 60 seconds guide first.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 7 of 13, by SBDiT

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well.... no...

1. I don't have the CD to the game.

2. There is no 'install' that I am using.... and I tried configuring the sound
from inside DOSBox..... tried various things there but did not get the
sound.

Again, the problem was the game was looking for the CD drive and not
finding it... was turning off sound. When I ran the game from normal DOS
prompt.... it found the drive empty and I (I)gnored that and got sound. Now, with the mounted CD drive in DOSBox.... I just get sound normally.. not even a prompt to (I)gnore.

SBDiT

Reply 8 of 13, by catchaserguns

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This may be a stupid question but if you don.t have the Cd then how did you get the game?

Reply 9 of 13, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
catchaserguns wrote:

This may be a stupid question but if you don.t have the Cd then how did you get the game?

I was about to ask the same question. And i think i know what the answer is. If my assumption is correct (*cough*Abandon*cough*ware), then it's IMHO quite bold to babble about driver incompatibility, without knowing for sure that the games' files are intact and complete.

Note to self: before considering helping with a DOSBox problem next time, ask about the source of the game.

Reply 10 of 13, by SBDiT

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Age of Rifles... is not generally available anymore... and the abondonware sites... usually don't carry games that are still available. I found out after DLing that..... it is still possible to get the game.... IF one is to trust the sites out there on the INet that say they have it and.... I have gotten ripped off before.

The Operational Art of War.... is a game about the same age as AoR... but has been updated over time and is generally available and thus the abandonware sites do not carry it... and I put my cash down and it has now been over two weeks and it still has not come in the mail (the place I bought it from has been reliable in the past though).

But... as far as AoR is concerned... no ethical concerns here (if it was generally available then that would be a different story... really... the people that should have ethical concerns are the people that take games off the market and then have a problem with those who obtain it otherwise). Also, if they ever update and re-release..... those who have it and enjoyed it... INCLUDING those that got it from an abandonware site... will all want to purchase the updated version.

So... IMO... a blatant stand against abandonware sites... simply does not stand the light of day.

IMO

SBDiT

P.S. Really.... most of the games that were developed for DOS... are not generally available anymore.. and these are the games that need DOSBox. I had LOTS of them... that I had purchased... but were on 5.25 disk and my last 5.25 computer died... and so I got the files from the abandonware sites.... otherwise.... I wasn't gonna get a replacement 3.5 disk from... say.... SSI... simply because.... it doesn't exist anymore.

P.S.2. Also... as far as the places on the INet that say they have it.... didn't see any of them saying.... 'Requires DOSBox or other DOS emulator'. So, who's the rip off here... the abandonware sites.... or the sites that are selling DOS games at greater than bargain basement prices?

Reply 11 of 13, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

SBDIT: you are missing the point of this "blatant stand against abandonware". Actually two points.
1. Abdandonware is illegal and neither DOSBox or Vogons can afford to support it. Plain and simple.

2. If it is abandonware it is often not even the whole game, often just a rip or just "all" the files from the CD. Thus trying to help here often results in the end in the revelation that the original game/CD work fine but the Warez version does not.

To your first PS, as far as I understood this game came on a CD? So please keep away with your "my 5.25 computer died" excuse, doesn't quite hold or did your CD/DVD-ROM computer die as well? I still have a 5.25" drive around for just that case, but AFAIK I already ripped images off all my 5.25" games. I bet you can find a drive to put into your computer.

To your PS2, well d'oh, if you buy a game these days you should be able to find out beforehand what the requirements are for it. And the high prices, that's capitalism, the demand/amount of available pieces drives the price.

If you want to discuss the virtue and legality of abandonware further, see one of the other threads about it. This one is probably about to get closed.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 12 of 13, by SBDiT

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If DOSBox/Vogons cannot support abandonware software because of the legality issues involved.... I respect that (to be honest..... didn't think it was that big a deal but... I can see where you are coming from).

Also... if DOSBox/Vogons WON'T support abandonware software even if there were no legality issues involved.... simply because you never know what you are getting.... well, I respect that also!

However.... I did not start the legal/ethical discussion here..... all's I did was respond to insults posted by two others... and I don't necesssarily agree with your other comments but.... will do as you request and post my position in that other thread.

Thank you,

SBDiT

Reply 13 of 13, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

all's I did was respond to insults posted by two others

Can't see any insulting postings. Closed anyways.